Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bucket choices>corner gussets & other things

Pixie ยท 2020-06-23 16:01

I'm looking for a new bucket for my Cat 307. I'm seeing wide variation in styles, price and weight. Some of the design features interest me: some buckets have a square crossbeam where the ears are; some a custom (?) curved. Some have gussets in the upper corners and some don't. Do you think the gussets are important ? Or the shape of the crossbeam ? The other problem I'm having is that it is rare to see a picture of the bottom of the bucket ( where mine is worn out ...) So I can't tell if there is any armor there. Going to be a pain to write to so many manufacturers and ask for that picture.... I'm also interested in knowing your opinion on which brands are best in the mid price range. I have already got a quote from Cat for an aftermarket one that didn't excite me. Thanks very much

Replies10
  1. #1AzIron2020-06-23 21:13

    I can get a central fab witch is a woods bucket from my deere dealer for a 310 2 foot bucket for about 1500 brand new it's not what I would call a heavy duty bucket but if your not eating rock or granite every day it would do good I have a 3 foot version with a little under a thousand hours on it holding up pretty good

  2. #2Tags2020-06-23 22:02

    I've had some good luck with Tag manufacturing buckets, Werk Brau buckets, and Geith buckets. The Geith buckets I had were before they were bought out by Doosan though. You can pretty much spec what you want for a bucket, like a general duty bucket, heavy duty bucket, or severe duty and you can request which style teeth and adapters you want on it. You can also request a high capacity bucket. I've used a company out of Pennsylvania to buy quite a few buckets, called Phoenix equipment sales - Phoenixequipmentsales.com 412-221-6766, they've always had pretty decent pricing for any buckets or couplers I have bought. I have also bought a couple ripper teeth and a couple buckets from USA attachments as well.

  3. #3Pixie2020-06-24 14:26

    Thanks for the good input ! Some of those brands don't make buckets for that small an ex. Have 2 quotes for 30" buckets at about the same price. One says it weighs almost twice the other ?? Do you think it's a mistake ? 354#s vs 688#s

  4. #4Pixie2020-06-24 15:45

    The 354 Must be a mistake. I am getting frustrated. Either I don't like the way the ears are attached to the bucket or the various dealers can't agree on pin spacing....Actual pictures and actual specs are in short supply.

  5. #5Bls repair2020-06-24 16:12

    How deep are the buckets? How thick is the steel?

  6. #6Pixie2020-06-24 17:06

    See, that's the thing. VERY few manufacturers or dealers give much for specs. for individual bucket models. Some of the better manufacturers only make up to a 24" bucket for that Cat and I might have to start considering those. Some you can tell by looking at them that the ears are only 3/8" plate.or some other less than robust dimension. Many don't show the bottom.

  7. #7Pixie2020-06-26 14:55

    I have enlisted the help of a local Deere dealer. Also have called a place about 4 hours away that has a new Teran EMAQ bucket wider than I want but cheap. If the Deere place can't find me an American made bucket soon, I'll go get the made in china one.

  8. #8nichobuilds2024-01-29 23:38

    Did you ever get the Teran bucket? If so, how did it go?

  9. #9Pixie2024-01-30 08:37

    No. I decided to wait until I could afford a much better custom made bucket that would be the same size as I have and probably last longer.

  10. #10uffex2024-01-30 09:43

    Good day You may find attached of interest. Much more if you need I will post. Kind regards Uffex