Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bucket Falls: Trojan 124

Johnny Mack ยท 2014-04-21 12:16

Help! We just bought a Trojan 124 Wheel Loader with an International D282 diesel engine. It runs and drives ok, however, the master cylinder leaks all over the floor and the bucket will not stay up! The bucket slowly tips down as soon as you release the lever. The lift arms will stay put however the bucket tips forward immediately. From what I can tell, the spool valve may be bad, however, I would like some feedback. Does anyone have any opinions? Has anyone replaced their spool valve? Does anyone know if a valve or rebuild kit is available? Regarding the master cylinder, I am sure I can find a kit or a replacement, but if anyone knows, I would love to hear from them.

Replies21
  1. #1Paul Six2014-04-21 12:54

    If you have to reseal the cylinder for external leak , reseal the piston too and check if the diameter of the cylinder is the same on all lenght , it could be an internal leak in the ram , if you don't have to reseal it for external seal lock both end of the ram if it is still falling it is the ram , if not it is the valve

  2. #2Johnny Mack2014-04-21 13:06

    The rams do not leak (externally). I will plug the rams one at a time and check them. Thank You very much for your reply. I had not considered an internal ram leak. I will post with results.

  3. #3CraneInnovation2014-04-21 17:29

    From my understanding, an internal ram leak can't cause this issue. Unless the full volume of fluid is leaking externally, the issue is almost certainly the valve spool. They're not too difficult to replace and rebuild. Getting to the valve is 90% of the battle.

  4. #4Mike Van2014-04-22 06:09

    Johnny - this thread I did a few years ago should help with the master cyl - With the bucket rams, I agree with CraneInnovation, more than likely the valve o rings.

  5. #5Johnny Mack2014-04-24 18:40

    The spool valve is a Parker: Parker PN: 20308908 Serial: 09117063 Parker Mod. #: VDP 14 DF 24 Does anyone know where to find a rebuild kit?

  6. #6Mike Van2014-04-24 19:34

    Try here - http://www.minnpar.com/constructionequipmentparts.asp

  7. #7Johnny Mack2014-05-03 11:31

    Minn Par does not have a rebuild kit and the spool valve is no longer available, as per, Minn Par. Has anyone changed their valve over to another that is more readily available, or rebuild-able?

  8. #8lantraxco2014-05-03 15:25

    After looking at a couple pics on the web of this machine it appears that the bucket tilt cylinders extend to dump. If this is true then your problem most certainly can be a piston seal leak. As the cylinders extend oil will bypass from the rod end to the butt end and since there is less oil on the rod end there will be no lock up and no leak externally. I would start with the cylinders. If the spool valve actually does prove to be a problem and is otherwise functioning you could probably install a counterbalance valve where the lines tee out to the two cylinders which will in effect lock the cylinders until you apply pressure to dump the bucket. Just a suggestion.

  9. #9Mike Van2014-05-04 13:26

    There must be a way to test the rams, like capping off all 4 ports, then lift the arms, see if the bucket tilts or stays ?

  10. #101466IH2014-05-04 14:07

    Chances are it is the spool if there is no external leak on the cylinder. Take a look at this topic and it will explain to you why Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

  11. #11Bluox2014-05-04 14:36

    The easy way to check cylinders with bucket on ground is remove and cap hoses on stem end of cylinders then start loader and put pressure on other end of cylinder.If oil comes out of fittings and bucket don't move that one has bad seals. Bob

  12. #12Mike Van2014-05-04 16:01

    Thanks Bob -

  13. #13Johnny Mack2014-05-06 20:01

    Hi Bob, What do you mean "If oil comes out of fittings"? Which fittings are you referring to? the capped hoses?

  14. #14Mobiltech2014-05-06 21:44

    He's referring to the fittings that you took the hoses off of. When you take the hoses off and cap them you are left with a fitting on the cylinder that's open.

  15. #15Johnny Mack2014-05-06 22:37

    Thank you for the clarification Mobi. I have ordered some caps and plugs and will let Ya'all know how it turns out.

  16. #16oldseabee2014-05-06 23:01

    Quick way to check the tilt cylinders, put the bucket flat on the ground and then tip the bucket down to raise the front of the machine. If the machine drifts down then it's probably one of the cylinders, if the tilt holds the machine up, could be the port relief in the valve, there is one for each end of the cylinders to protect each end of the cylinders and the machine. If the tilt holds the machine, try swapping the port reliefs for the bucket circuit, if the problem moves to the other end of the cylinder the port relief is bad. Also remote possibility is that one of the pistons has come loose, when the pressure is used to lift the machine, the piston is pushed tight agains the rod, however when the pressure is on the rod side it could push the piston away and allow the leak.

  17. #17Johnny Mack2014-05-06 23:12

    I used the tilt feature you speak of above to lift the front of the machine to enable removing the front wheels to replace leaking brake wheel cylinders and the bucket will in fact hold while tilted down...so maybe we are on to something here!. So, now that its dark and I can't go look, where might the port reliefs be located?

  18. #18Johnny Mack2014-05-12 17:32

    Well, I lied...When I tilt the bucket down and lift the front of the machine, it does in fact creep back until the tires get back on the ground. I forgot that we had used a jack stand to support the front of the machine when we changed the brakes. We disconnected the stem end hoses and then operated the tilt and oil flowed out of the open hose ends. I guess I need to have the tilt cylinders rebuilt. Thanks all for the help with this one.

  19. #19old-iron-habit2014-05-12 18:42

    Seen this thread a little late. An easy way to check a cylinder for internal leakage past the center piston is to hook the bucket under something to heavy to lift. Or tie it back to the machine. Using the control, try to tilt the bucket back so the system bypasses. In a very short time the cylinder with the leaky center piston will get warm at the spot where the oil is bypassing. Saves taking anything apart until you determine if it is control or cylinder.

  20. #20Bluox2014-05-12 18:51

    Do you mean the cylinder fittings?

  21. #21Johnny Mack2014-05-20 17:46

    Yes, oil flows out from the stem end