Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bucket hooks

Willie B · 2017-07-25 12:36

I once owned a John Deere 410. On the bucket were chain hooks I think were likely factory original. A forged handle bug enough to grip with your hand, had a grab hook built on the outside of it. You passed a chain through the loop, and hooked it. John Deere offers them for about $60 each. Is there a better source. Willie

Replies10
  1. #1DIYDAVE2017-07-25 20:14

    Google shows a bunch of weld on hooks, about $5 per hook. Shouldn't be too hard to take some round stock, and fab up a handle, for a lot less than $60, from mother deere...

  2. #2DMiller2017-07-25 20:31

    If looking for the Key hole style chain eye you may have to look for Chain Banjo Eye. This close? https://zips.com/parts-detail/miller-keyhole-plate-banjo-eye-3-8-weld-12-0720078 I cut my own for my needs.

  3. #3Willie B2017-07-25 21:13

    No. The ones I speak of are a hoop maybe 8" long, 3" tall, off the rear is a notch to grab chain, then pass the loose end through the hoop to hold it on the grab.

  4. #4Willie B2017-07-25 21:24

    I'll try again.

  5. #5Willie B2017-07-25 21:31

    I'm trying to show a sketch. Can't seem to do it.

  6. #6Willie B2017-07-25 21:41

    Hopefully my sketch will be here.

  7. #7Hobbytime2017-07-25 22:08

    I have the same handle/chain grip on my 1980s ford 555 backhoe on the front bucket...dont know the proper name either..

  8. #8Willie B2017-07-25 22:24

    Yes, I just saw some on a 4500 Ford maybe a 1965? The grandson of a recently died old friend brought home a couple new unused from his grandfather. As I'd like about ten, I hate to pay John Deere's prices. Willie

  9. #9DMiller2017-07-26 06:47

    Scan came thru, just have to open it. Should still be able to fab something as that. 5/16 or 3/8" plate for the chain snag and 1/2" hot roll for the 'D' ring or have a fab shop with a plasma bed cut out a dozen or so out of 5/16" or 3/8" plate steel. Could step up to 1/2" for heavier chain.

  10. #10old-iron-habit2017-07-26 10:04

    I seen them on JD for years also. Have not seen them in a while. I like that style to.