Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Can’t put in gear forward or reverse

Dgiumen1 ยท 2017-07-20 01:53

197? Ford 4500 tractor ran fine last year. After the winter I started it up and the backhoe and bucket part works OK. Tried to but in gear and the clutch didn't engage. Adjusted the linkage and nothing. Is there a switch to engage the clutch or it just failed over the winter.

Replies27
  1. #1DMiller2017-07-20 11:36

    That machine has a shuttle doesn't it? Would have a converter and a hydraulics for that system by itself, or will have a road/dig control valve that is probably still in dig.

  2. #2Dgiumen12017-07-20 14:45

    Don't know the difference. Could you explain the difference.

  3. #3DMiller2017-07-20 15:45

    Shuttle shift has either and/or a high low or forward reverse as a secondary shift OFF the trans. As I remember of these tractors you essentially have a torque converter to a limited auto trans tied to a clutch and manual box. If that is in neutral or is low on fluid same issue, clutch does nothing as the power from the engine does not get there.

  4. #4mitch5042017-07-21 00:45

    4500s came with one of two transmissions. The easiest way to tell which you have is: Do you have a clutch pedal on the left side of your transmission, or just the two brake pedals on the right? Once we know this, we can go from there.

  5. #5Dgiumen12017-07-21 21:34
  6. #6Dgiumen12017-07-21 21:35

    Clutch pedal on the left

  7. #7Iron@Dirt2017-07-24 18:32

    have seen some farm tractors after sitting up for a while in the winter and moisture, that the throw out bearing couler siezes to the tube and stop the clutch from being relased. sometimes the cross shaft sticks in the housing also. is there a way you can look at the throw out bearing in action?

  8. #8DMiller2017-07-25 07:09

    Another possible, had the clutch disc of a GMC 6500 rust to the input shaft where would not disengage as would not come away from the flywheel.

  9. #9Tinkerer2017-07-25 07:14

    Can you push the clutch pedal down to the floorboard ? If you can it is quite possible the pressure plate is stuck / seized to the flywheel. I have seen it happen a couple of times after a long period of time of non use. I got lucky with a Ford pickup truck. I started it in gear and drove around with the pedal down and it broke loose. The diagram is from the New Holland online parts book. http://partstore.agriculture.newholland.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr49534ar397256

  10. #10Dgiumen12017-07-25 15:44

    I believe the peddle feels normal. I now think the pressure plate is stuck / seized to the flywheel. Can it be freed w/o taking it apart. Thinking about starting it in gear by running cables from the starter to the cab and just riding it around. I won't to it until tomorrow so what do you think.

  11. #11Tinkerer2017-07-25 15:55

    Yes start in gear and ride it around and push the pedal in up and down repeatedly. Be very careful while starting it tho !!!!

  12. #12Dgiumen12017-07-25 19:57

    Using house wiring made a switch to the solenoid to the cab so I can start it. It didn't appear to be strong enough. Also noticed the ignition switch dose not need a key to jump it at the starter. I also screwed up by forgetting to turn on the fuel. Now I have to wait for someone to assist me in bleeding the lines.

  13. #13DMiller2017-07-25 20:33

    Get it started and block up all the attachments first. Then start in the lowest gear. If can get it rolling and kill the engine see if coasting will help with clutch pedal down. May take some shock loading to get it free.

  14. #14Dgiumen12017-07-25 20:49

    I also noticed the tractor will start if either one shifter is in gear H/L or 1st gear

  15. #15DMiller2017-07-27 16:53

    Any luck yet?

  16. #16DMiller2017-07-27 16:55

    Just saw this reply, many times on Ag or this old of commercial equipment the start interrupt circuit is on the clutch, a simple cut out switch much as a start switch button. Most of these failed early in life and had been wired around by less scrupulous mechanics or owners.

  17. #17Dgiumen12017-07-27 18:59

    Got it running again but couldn't get it started in gear. I did notice a wire coming out of the cover. I also want to check the tranny fluid but not sure of the fill plug. I see 2 allen screws about equal height. They seem a little high for fillm screws but not sure.

  18. #18DMiller2017-07-27 19:50

    Large hex plug in front of right shifter should be fill plug, possibly have a dipstick attached to it.

  19. #19Dgiumen12017-07-27 20:19

    I meant the full plug or plugs

  20. #20DMiller2017-07-27 20:24

    Level plug should be on opposite side, square drive hole. These are accessory drain back points.

  21. #21Dgiumen12017-07-27 21:23

    Thank you I clean the other side tomorrow

  22. #22mitch5042017-07-28 03:54

    No dipstick on fill plug in front of shifter. The check plug is under the foot plates. The Allen head plugs go into the bell housing where the clutch is, not into the tranny, (IIRC). The starter safety switch is on the range shift lever, and is that wire coming out of the shift cover. You can unplug it and just short across the plug and it will turn over with the key. Ford tractors are really bad about the clutch sticking, and it frequently takes a repeated shock load to break them free. I see this 2-3 times a year and have never had one not break free, but it occasionally takes an hour or so of hitting things with the clutch pedal held down.

  23. #23Dgiumen12017-07-28 08:29

    I think the full plug is 7.5 inches below the top of tranny. Seems too low. I removed the plug and the fluid poured out. It didn't look bad I think??. I also checked the fluid on the top of the tractor above the radiator. It was milky. I thought all the hydraulic fluid was the same for tranny, bucket and backhoe.I also took off the cap in the last picture, all gunky inside. What's purpose.

  24. #24DMiller2017-07-28 08:34

    Vent

  25. #25Dgiumen12017-08-01 10:17

    Adjusted clutch so it wouldn't go all the way down. Started tractor in first gear road around for a while pumping the clutch pedal down/up. It didn't free the clutch pedal it now goes all the way down ?? The transmission full plug is 7.5" below the shifter plate, is that correct. When opened the plug fluid came gushing out. The fluid looked good, this machine did have very little use in the last 8 years maybe 2 hours a year. It hasn't been maintained in 10 years. I understand that the hydraulic fluid is milky, but isn't milky at the transmission. How do i change the hydraulic fluid for the tractor and is it different from the transmission fluid

  26. #26DMiller2017-08-01 13:13

    Sounds as the release bearing is failed. If it is not as stiff as would expect when push down it may have come apart where it will not depress the clutch fingers. At this point is split the tractor. If you intend to do this yourself, get a full service manual and follow the instructions closely. Otherwise a garage is best to do this with the hoists and cribbing to adequately split the machine.

  27. #27DMiller2017-08-01 15:36

    One other potential still requires splitting tractor is the stacking of the friction plate material, that also will add feeplay by taking up room inside the clutch.