Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bucket not level

heavyhauls ยท 2024-02-16 17:42

Hi, I took my ASV 120 to the dealer because the bucket was 1.5" higher on one side making it difficult to grade evenly. They said the front axle was bent and replaced it. I got it back and its the exact same. Now they're saying the back axle needs to be replaced for another $4000. Could the back axle cause the bucket to be un-level? Is there a way to pinpoint the problem without throwing in parts I don't really need. I have my old front axle that looks fine but dealer is trying to tell me its bent and just can't see it. Is there a way to check if its bent when out of the machine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies10
  1. #1KSSS2024-02-16 18:05

    I could see that if either axle is bent that would affect the bucket. However I would tell the dealer they already replaced the front axle for free, and I would ask them if they are so sure about the rear axle being bent that they are ready to pay for that one as well if that isn't the problem. I would not tolerate replacing parts as part of a guessing game. They are the dealer and should be able to pin point the problem. If the front is axle is actually bent, that should be easy enough for them to prove. It is far more likely that the loader arms are bent.

  2. #2Acoals2024-02-16 18:23

    Ksss is right, this is on the dealership; you can't just keep throwing $4,000 repairs at a machine hoping you hit the problem. Start by putting the machine on a level concrete floor, pick the loader arms up a bit, get under it and measure from the floor to the belly pan at the four corners. If the problem is in the suspension you will see it in those measurements. If the belly pan is level the problem is in the loader frame somewhere

  3. #3heavyhauls2024-02-17 01:44

    Thanks for the advice. I will take some measurements and see what I can figure out.

  4. #4stefuel2024-02-20 18:27

    Yikes. I just looked at pictures of ASV 120 loader arms. They look super strong. Is this problem existing from when you bought it or something that popped up recently? If recent, I'll bet you remember hitting something that hurt you as well.

  5. #5KSSS2024-02-23 20:28

    Well I stated loader arms being bent because most often that is the issue. However, I too have looked at the 120 and while I am no fan of ASV in any respect, I cant imagine what one would have to do to tweak those loader arms, which is why they probably went to the axles being bent. I am assuming that it at one time did grade level. If it is a new machine, and no one noticed the grade issue, I would guess that something went wrong during the manufacturing process, which would be right ASV alley.

  6. #6Welder Dave2024-02-24 03:36

    I don't know the machine but on level ground measure to see if each bucket pin on the boom is the same height from the ground. If they are check the bucket isn't twisted or the mounts are off. If someone was lifting really hard on one corner of the bucket might twist something. Bent axle should be able to put a straight edge on it to check.

  7. #7stefuel2024-02-24 06:44

    Here's a thought. Drop the loader arms close to the stops and measure the gaps on both sides. If the loader frame is bent, the gaps will be different. Or lower until it just hits the stops. If it's bent, I would think there will be a gap on the high side.

  8. #8Vetech632024-02-24 07:30

    Your dealer is stupid if they can't figure out what is bent.

  9. #992U 34062024-02-24 09:07

    Park on a flat shop floor or cement pad. Put a level on the machine frame, put one on the loader frame. Should be able to see which one is funky.

  10. #10stefuel2024-02-24 16:49

    Any chance you can borrow another bucket to try? That would eliminate that from the equation.