Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 246 Intermittent Parking Brake Issue

01Time · 2024-02-16 17:44

S/N 5SZ0XXXX A couple of days ago I noticed that sometimes when I release the parking brake, the loader controls still do not work; but the drive controls do. It’s usually a series of toggling the parking brake on and off and it eventually releases all of the controls. My guess is it may be a failing solenoid. Is this something that is easy to locate and test? Or is there something else that could be the culprit and I should be looking for?

Replies6
  1. #1dieseldog5.92024-02-16 19:52

    Personally I would start with a wiring schematic, Lift the cab up, have a look at the wiring, the wires are routed through the frame with some pinch points, with the schematic you may be able to locate the solenoids and verify they have proper power and ground. I may have a schematic to share, may take a few for me to locate.

  2. #2Nige2024-02-16 21:13

    There are two possible schematics for a 5SZ machine, depending on whether the Serial Number is above or below 4000, and I have both of them. Which group does your machine fall into.?

  3. #301Time2024-02-16 21:17

    5SZ07867 (CAT00246P5SZ07867)

  4. #4Nige2024-02-16 21:30

    Check your messages.

  5. #501Time2024-03-13 20:33

    Just wanted to post an update on the issue...it ended up being a low battery. It had been needing to be jump started occasionally (depending on how long it sat). I replaced the battery and the issue hasn't returned. Now I need to locate the parasitic draw that's causing the battery issue.

  6. #6Nige2024-03-14 12:30

    First thing you will need is to study the electrical schematic. Take the first point that the power from the battery arrives at the fuses/relays, etc. Disconnect everything and check for parasitic drain. Should be zero. Then start connecting one circuit at a time until the drain reappears. Simples.......