Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

bucket quick couplers

John V · 2024-02-28 16:12

Howdy, I'm searching for a manual quick coupler for my komatsu pc35mr-2. It has 35mm pins. Do you know of any affordably priced ones? It seems TAG buckets are popular in my area, would be nice to score one of those but it's difficult to get pricing on them. Another option is buying a used one. 35mm pins is not too common apparently. I see a couple of them with 40mm pins. Do you reckon it'd be fine to press in some bushings to make them 35mm bores, assuming the dipper arm is the appropriate width and the pin center-to-center is close?

Replies11
  1. #1KSSS2024-02-28 16:57

    I like the Werk Brau manual coupler. I agree 35 mm is an odd size of pin.

  2. #2CM19952024-02-28 18:37

    Not a fan of TAG couplers and buckets. To be fair the only ones I have dug with were on Bobcat Sunbelt rental units so they were abused but seemed to have way too much slop. TAG must be cheap to buy?

  3. #3csthompson122024-02-28 19:22

    With the TAG couples, some have an adjustment to take out the slop. Adjust- a - hook I think it’s called.

  4. #4KSSS2024-02-28 20:19

    I am not a fan of anything TAG. I think they must kick that stuff out to the rental companies very cheap. They all seem to run it.

  5. #5PeterG2024-02-28 20:37

    TAG buckets come on Takeuchi mini excavators. No problem with them not being strong. Quality is pretty good, although I have received a new bucket that I got that would not go on. They replaced it no problem. Yeah, quick connect is not great. Either the pin is tight and hard to remove without a sledge hammer, or it's loose and the bucket is loose. The bucket adjustment slop is done with an Allen wrench for two screws which are always stuck and need to be cleaned out. I don't use the adjustment screws. The buckets never come with a lifting loop, so that's something that always needs to be welded on. United Rentals and other rental Companies rent a lot of Takeuchi's. Therefore if you need to rent an auger or breaker, it will work with the TAG coupler.

  6. #6John V2024-02-28 21:53

    Alright i did some digging and found a parts company with unused couplers for a john deere 27g. Asking a very fair price for them. They use the "wedge lock" style. The local marketplace search turns up a number of used and new buckets in this style, so there's a good supply of those. Also, weld-on ears are readily available so I can adapt my current 12" bucket. Their website says it has 1-3/8" pin bores, I'm assuming they mean 35mm. Hopefully that's true, as the width and center-to-center will fit this machine nicely!

  7. #7Catsparky12024-02-29 05:24

    Wain roy ?

  8. #8stumpjumper832024-03-11 07:10

    Have a tag / wainroy on my takeuchi tb53 and a werk breu on my kobelco sk35. I have not had the kobelco long, so I can't say. But I hated the tag enough to tell the dealers that while I wanted a manual coupler, I wanted nothing to do with the tag / wainroy, 1500 hrs and very sloppy. The wb allows you to flip the bucket backwards as well, can't with a tag.

  9. #9Swetz2024-03-12 06:56

    Not sure what is a reasonable price, but I purchased a Geith single visit manual coupler last year. It was around $3k. Seems well made. Allows for buckets to be put on backwards if needed too.

  10. #10Helirich2024-03-24 13:21

    I have the tag system on my E26. It has a 12” bucket on it now and I should take delivery of a 30” bucket tomorrow. I’ll see how good it works then. I’ve heard that the tag system is fine for smaller machines like mine, but they are not strong enough for larger machines. Not sure where the size cut off is. They say the single lock pin can shear or partially shear off. Obviously, that would be a PITA. Someone told me you can spin the whole tag mount around to make a forward digging bucket, but obviously that wouldn’t be “quick”.

  11. #11Helirich2024-03-26 13:59

    So I got my new bucket. Looks good built. I don’t have my excavator here right now, so it will have to wait till I get them together.