Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bucket Repair

cannonman ยท 2008-12-27 23:03

Ok....here's the scoop. I've been cutting, welding and fabricating for a loooong time. I'm in a new job though in which I'm dealing with a few things that have me a bit stymied. The top item is cutting old shanks of a bucket. My wish list item is air arc and off we go. The shop I'm in though..these guys have been torching them off (no...not even gouging or scarfing tips...just straight cutting tips). It seems to me to be a sloppy way to go. leaves a lot of grinding thereafter and introduces a ton of heat into the parent metal. I'll have the ability to ultimately call the ball here and do it my way..but I just wanna make sure I'm barking up the right tree. My way...air arc, grind and replace. Any thoughts from you guys that have been doing the deal with heavy equipment for a while would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and enjoy the holidays.

Replies7
  1. #1Taylortractornu2008-12-27 23:34

    Ive used Air arc morethan I care to recall. I have a friend that has a 1250 I think Hypertherm plasma cutter. he has a gouging tip for it and its the bread and butter machine less sparks and a good bit less noise. It sure makes some super clean cuts he redid my brothers 120 Hitachi bucket recently.

  2. #2JTL2008-12-27 23:41

    Air Arc is the only to go! I have never personally replaced one, but have torn many a shank out of a bucket! Our mechanics always air arc out the remaining pieces. It seems to me the fastest and easiest way to go. Jason

  3. #3Lashlander2008-12-28 00:57

    I've used both and an Air Arc is way superior to Oxy Acet. I have heard good things about the Plasma like Taylortractornu said but have never used one for this application.

  4. #4cannonman2008-12-28 10:41

    Many thanks.... We just did pick up a Hypertherm Plasma cutter 1000. I haven't used it for gouging yet but I'm dying to try it. It looks like the vote is swinging towards AirArc though. Many thanks gentlemen. I truly appreciate the input.

  5. #5John C.2008-12-28 14:02

    The carbon arc take huge amounts of electricity, requires at least 20 CFM of compressed air at 75 or more PSI, creates lots of black smoke that cloggs nasal pasages and makes more noise than a 737 at take off. It is a dirty job that requires a lot of skill to do well. On the other hand it is the fastest at removing welded items and requires the least amount of grinding for the fit up of the new item. I've fixed machine frames, changed bucket lugging, plated dozer blades, replaced crane hook roller circles, removed rock guards from dozers and excavator track frames, repaired crane booms and the list isn't even getting started for what else the tool can be used for. Basically if you don't have one, you are pretty limited in what you can fix on heavy equipment. Plasma cutters do a great job of cutting clean with little heat input. I've found they work best on sheet metal or heavy metal where you want clean cuts. I haven't seen anyone use them for gouging yet and I suspect they would work much like a cutting torch.

  6. #6ADMSWELDING2008-12-28 16:41

    I,ll vote air arc also,have done dozens both way but if you have enough air and say 400 amps nothing beats a K4000 with a 3/8 rod.

  7. #7cannonman2008-12-28 20:29

    Yes sir!!! John C...as for the noise..the amperage and the ungodly basics of the entire process...hell...I don't think I'd be attracted to it. Seriously...it's a tough job and those who sit behind desks and drink double lattes whilst sweating if their socks match their shoes should be grateful that we whom embrace violent processes that keep their little worlds spinning should be grateful. Thank you for the input man. Take care.