i grew up on allis chalmers/fiat allis loaders. they are all my dad would buy. found out yesterday doing snow removal with my 624g deere, how much i miss the bucket rollover the allis's had when getting stuck, having the ability to push yourself out. wonder why that got designed out of the newer machines?
You are quite right, dayexco, we had Ford loaders and they were the same, the bucket would roll right under and you could push yourself out of sticky situations and it was also handy for shaking sticky material out of the bucket. I think what has changed it is the "Z" bar system on all the current loaders, whereas a lot of the older loaders used the parallelogram system, which gave you greater bucket movement. Tool carriers still use this system, but the "Z" bar was designed to give greater breakout force, because it uses the piston end of the ram when crowding the bucket, not the rod end and I think it might be slightly quicker. My argument was, why not just use a larger ram, because I quite liked the parallelogram system. We never had too many problems with breakout. With the "Z" bar there are less linkages to wear and grease as well, although the Fords still only used the "Z" bar style arm, whereas most of the other loaders used linkages running down each loader arm. All of the old Caterpillars had parallelogram, but I can't remember if the bucket rolled right under on them. Rn'R.