Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bucket teeth

orville ยท 2011-06-27 21:32

The teeth on my bucket are a little thin and was wondering if anyone knew what they are made of. The bucket is a 5/8 yard on my antique Bantam. I was thinking of putting a little patch over the hole and welding it with 7018. Build up the patch area with 7018 then put one pass of hard face for the final pass. I doubt I can buy teeth so thought I would give it a shot. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Replies6
  1. #1Swamp rat2011-06-28 20:11

    Good evening orville , i have done this same thing to finish a project and keep the machine going since we was in no-mans land. I used AR450 plate and cut it about 1/2" wider than the teeth and welded with fluxcore. It worked fine , seemed to last better than the factory teeth that was still on it. 7018 will work fine , had a suitcase machine handy so it cut down the down time.

  2. #2orville2011-06-28 22:09

    What is AR450 plate? Did you put any hard face on the AR450? My holes are not that big, the biggest hole is 1 3/4" X 1 5/8" but the bottom of the teeth are thin, down to 1/8" thick. I was hoping to just build them up and run some hard face. I have got 4 patches on, but miscalculated on the last tooth.

  3. #3Swamp rat2011-06-29 19:10

    AR450 is a grade of abrasion resistance steel , its used a lot in high wear locations. There is different grades available , i use 450 and 500 , i dont use much harder than these because in rock , a harder grade will sometimes break or chip. With this i normally dont use any hardsurfacing rods. If you dont have access to this ,then putting a patch and building up with hardsurfacing will work as well.

  4. #4orville2011-06-29 22:01

    I don't know how you made your teeth but I can see where cutting 4 pieces of steel per tooth or maybe just 2 would be an easier fix than what I am doing. I would bet the AR450 would be hard to saw or drill. When I get this done I will post a picture. I saw a couple of buckets on the excavator site that were hard faced to a point of over kill. Thanks Swamp Rat

  5. #5orville2011-07-04 09:28

    When welding this AR450 do you use 7018? Do you need to preheat the steel before you weld it?

  6. #6Swamp rat2011-07-04 10:52

    Working with AR steel is like any other except , drilling and cutting only makes it harder. This needs to be done with plasma, torch - i have done some drilling but you have to drill it at a snells pace , if it is cut too quick it will start heating and hardening. Welding can be done with 7018 , depending on thickness used , preheating can be done. Usually if a good hotpass is done and its cleaned and continous welding afterwards preheating not needed for your application. If the teeth you have now are not worn to the extreem - you can plate them with this metal and build them up so you will have no drilling .