Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bucket tooth questions

Sharky ยท 2013-10-05 00:08

I have a ex 100 Hitachi with a "CF" digging bucket, no tags or part numbers on the bucket or shanks. It currently has Esco 21SYL teeth on it. Teeth are new but fit very loose, they are the "twist on" style with the horseshoe retainer. Problem is they are very loose! They slip on without twisting and while they seem close they are not real tight and after a short while digging they fall off. Is there a slightly smaller tooth that may fit tighter? Or are they clearly one size or another? The shank length/ tooth depth is the same (about 2 1/4") where it slips on. They shanks don't appear worn, still have plenty of meat on the twisty part. And the teeth are not worn hardly at all. I just bought this machine and thinking someone may have gotten the wrong teeth for it but maybe not. Can someone help me here? Originally I thought the shanks were too worn out, but After pulling all the teeth, they all look the same, and meaty. Is esco the only manufacturer of the twist on style?

Replies2
  1. #1Sharky2013-10-05 00:14

    Tooth Here is the tooth. The bucket is fairly small. I think about 1/2 CY By guessing.

  2. #2willie592013-10-05 00:15

    New teeth, or even old teeth, that have just been fitted will be a bit loose on the tooth adapter. As you begin working the machine, digging with the bucket, small "fines" of material will fill the gaps in the tooth/adapter and they should no longer be loose. As for the Esco teeth, they're pretty much exclusive aside from Chinese reproductions. And I've yet to see an Esco tooth flop off because of slack when it's locked in with the retainer, even with a little slack from the initial fit.