Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Buckets for Skid Steers

River Hill ยท 2004-01-29 08:30

I know they make many types of buckets for skid steers, but I was wondering what the difference is between a regular bucket, light material bucket and a snow bucket? I see a great deal of contractors piling snow with their skid steers using light material buckets, but I have not seen a snow bucket. What type of bucket do you think is best for cleaning curb lines during snow removal?

Replies11
  1. #1Paul2004-01-29 20:53

    A light material bucket and a snow bucket are just about the same, the only differance would be in the cutting edge, a snow bucket will have a heavier edge to scrape ice.

  2. #2badranman2004-01-29 20:57

    I do believe that a light material/snow bucket is bigger than a normal bucket because of the reduced weight you're carrying. Yes???

  3. #3River Hill2004-01-30 07:38

    I do know you can get light material and snow buckets in a many different sizes.

  4. #4mert07142004-01-30 08:27

    I think the same about the thicker cutting edges on the snow buckets. I also believe, in most cases, the light material buckets are engineered a little differently. By that I mean, the snow buckets tend to be wider, maybe built stronger for the abuse. Light material buckets are maybe a bit higher and deeper to scoop/haul more. I know that they come in different sizes but when you compare cubic feet of capacity, I think this may be the case.?

  5. #5ranger2007-07-10 22:08

    Since the topic is different kinds of buckets, what is a foundry bucket?

  6. #6KSSS2007-07-12 02:45

    Actually the snow buckets tend to be oversized and lighter build than dirt buckets to maximize payloads. Cutting edges are the same typically. They tend to by high backed as seeing cutting edge is not important, they are also used to move material like saw dust, wood chips etc.

  7. #7clutch12007-07-12 21:31

    i was thinking a different material was used alltogether for the salt in the snow aplications

  8. #8Steve Frazier2007-07-13 00:33

    They are still made of steel

  9. #9Jaybuild2007-09-30 07:50

    I use a "long lip" bucket with my small screening plant. Because it is longer, it reaches all the way in. My standard bucket has more breakout force, but it will not reach completely in. This is not a problem until I go to move the screen, then it must be clean beneath

  10. #10Countryboy2007-09-30 19:58

    Welcome to HEF Jaybuild! :drinkup

  11. #11Dwan Hall2007-09-30 20:37

    Here is a 7' wide tooth bucket, 8' wide light materials bucket, and 9' wide snow bucket. These fit the 974, 975 series machines.