Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bucketwheel #4

92U 3406 ยท 2018-05-06 19:16

Took a trip out to Syncrude's Giants of Mining display out by their Mildred Lake mine. Pretty neat machine.

Replies17
  1. #1Ronsii2018-05-06 21:12

    Cool!!! I love stuff like that

  2. #2RZucker2018-05-06 21:19

    As a "life of the mine" type of asset how did this machine end up parked and rusting? Mine closed? That's a lot of money rotting away. I do like to see that big stuff though. There are some really monstrous bucket wheels in Germany's brown coal mines.

  3. #3Truck Shop2018-05-06 21:31

    That is quite a gizmo. Thanks for sharing. Truck Shop

  4. #492U 34062018-05-06 23:49

    The story I heard was it simply cost too much in upkeep to keep in running. The mine is still in operation but currently utilizes P&H 4100 and Bucyrus 495HF electric shovels and ultra-class haul trucks.

  5. #592U 34062018-05-06 23:52

    Here is Discovery, the walking dragline mentioned on the plaque in the first post. Quite a massive machine. You can just see part of the conveyors of the bucketwheel under the dragline's boom.

  6. #6RZucker2018-05-07 19:39

    I guess I can understand that. Still... that's a lot of iron just hanging around. The dragline is really impressive too. I would love to be able to tour the inside of those two machines.

  7. #792U 34062018-05-07 20:30

    Unfortunately they are both fenced off from the public. I'd love to take the catwalk up to the end of the boom just to say I did it.

  8. #8crane operator2018-05-07 22:53

    Got a extra $4 million laying around? If you do and are close to Twilight, West Virginia, you can have just a little smaller version. Don't know why, but it says it "must be removed from central appalachia", Why wouldn't they want to move it somewhere close and keep it in use?- Marion 8050 walking dragline: "The item must be removed from Central Appalachia. ( WV, Va, TN & Ky). Also Buyer is responsible for not only tear down, loadout and applicable hauling fees but any fees required by the EPA for cleanup, environmental & safety compliance of the location. Basically all fees incurred real or otherwise" http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/ite...um=referral&utm_campaign=syndication&src=mktg

  9. #992U 34062018-05-07 23:24

    Now that I think about it there's quite a bit of cool old iron laying around here. Might have to go and snap some photos of some of it one of these days.

  10. #10RZucker2018-05-08 00:14

    Somehow, I bet the $4M is the cheap part of this deal....

  11. #11Truck Shop2018-05-08 07:14

    Cost more to tear down and move than it's worth in scrap price probably. Truck Shop

  12. #12RZucker2018-05-08 22:54

    The last Lampson Transi-Lift move I heard about was 44 truckloads and a nearly complete unit train of flat cars... Not cheap for one lift. That was only a 1500 ton machine I think.

  13. #13crane operator2018-05-08 23:04

    They may be worried about this sort of thing, its a marion boom removal that went bad some years back:

  14. #14Kiwi-truckwit2018-05-09 00:13

    Ouch! Exceeded line pull and smoked the drum brake?

  15. #1592U 34062018-05-20 20:32

    Saw this while out for a walk this evening. Just a baby one. No information plaque around but its definitely a Krupp.

  16. #16newdanr2018-05-22 23:41

    Thanks for posting! I saw those when I visited a friend in Fort Mac in 2006. Actually went there on vacation! I love it when companies place more value on preserving machines than whatever pittance they would get for scrapping. danr

  17. #1792U 34062018-05-22 23:59

    I didn't think anyone took vacations to Fort Mac. Usually everyone can't wait until they can fly out of camp: