Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bucyrus Erie 30B throttle control question

General310 ยท 2016-03-20 20:42

I am in the process of acquiring a 1965 BE30B dragline. It has a cummins engine with torque converter. It has 2 throttle control levers, mounted side by side, going back to the pump. We assumed one was for throttle and the other was the fuel shutoff. The machine has been setting for over 10 years so the control cables were seized but we were able to get the lever closest to the operator free and disconnected the other at the pump. We were able to get the machine running and at first the lever we had freed up worked at increasing and decreasing the RPM's. However after a few minutes the RPM's dropped to an idle no matter what position we put the lever at. The mechanic then tried moving the disconnected lever on the pump and found that by moving both we were again able to gain control of the motor. Neither lever in any combination would shut the engine off. My question is what is the purpose of each lever in this "2 Lever" setup? BTW this is the old 220 type cummins but without the turbo. Any help is appreciated.

Replies13
  1. #1RBMcCloskey2016-03-20 20:58

    The two levers are one for the throttle and one for the torque converter. The B-E design is that you have infinite engine speed control and infinite convertor control. You can set the throttle at high speed and full convertor for fast digging, You can set the throttle at high speed and the convertor at very little torque for digging around obstructions, See the process? I have a B-E publication describing it in detail, I will find it and make you a copy or post it here as a PDF. I ran a 30-B and a 25-B, both backhoes with that setup it was almost like have a hydraulic machine, very interesting.

  2. #2General3102016-03-20 21:20

    Thanks RBMcCloskey for the info. If you could get me a copy of that publication I would appreciate it. Unfortunately the owner can't find the manuals but I was able to find some online that are very close to the serial number of this machine. By chance would you know the approximate weight of this machine with standard counterweight and approx. 75ft of boom?

  3. #3Tugger2016-03-20 22:34

    An educated guess on the 30B weight would be around 120000lbs fully rigged,if someone else dosent have the book weight for you.Most cummins even the older ones shut the fuel off with the key or an on off on switch.RBM described the tailshaft governor perfectly,if you have not had opportunity to run these machines to their potential the 2 levers are hard to understand

  4. #4mitch5042016-03-21 00:03

    I don't think a 30B weighs that much, a 22B is under 50,000 lbs, and a 30B isn't twice it's size.

  5. #5Tugger2016-03-21 23:44

    I think the 30 B comes in at 50 or 60 ton rating,depending on what series.Smaller crawler cranes seem to weight what they lift and maybe a little more .

  6. #6TSK4152016-03-27 14:55

    30 B 40' basic boom configuration 110,950# https://freecranespecs.com/Bucyrus-Erie-30-B-Series-4(1).pdf

  7. #7Operator41002016-03-27 21:32

    Hey Guys TUGGER is correct, the 30B came in a 50 an a 60 ton version, probably just me but I didn't care for the converter control, tried it a few times clam shelling and the response just wasn't good take care DW

  8. #8mitch5042016-03-28 10:17

    Ok, ignore how wrong that was, , just use it for context on this: Is there a 25B, or something else between a 22B and a 30B? My b-in-l had 3 22Bs working that my trucks used to move for him, and they didn't feel that heavy. He also had another, larger, B-E crawler with air controls that he never finished restoring. I was remembering it as a 30B, but I don't think it was that big.

  9. #9Operator41002016-03-28 21:40

    Hey Mitch504, yes I did see a 25B or something to that affect one time , DW

  10. #10Tugger2016-03-29 23:57

    Actually I have a 25B.It doesnt show up on free crane specs,so im not sure how its rated id guess maybe 25 ton .Seems like its an odd one in the Bucyrus line up.Ive managed to assemble a collection that includes 2 10Bs I 15B 1 22B and the 25B,Just need a 30B for the full sandbox lineup.Ill try and get some pictures up.

  11. #11Buck Guyther2016-06-23 11:04

    A friend of mine has a 30-B (1963) also, Cat engine and torque converter, same 2 lever set-up. Not hooked up when he got. I would be interested in a copy of the manual you have, so we can fix it. Machine works at farm pond and misc clean-up, so not a hobby machine, but semi-retired.

  12. #12RBMcCloskey2016-06-23 14:26

    What I have is a sales brochure, I spoke to a friend of mine, his name is Pat Favata 201-819-8202 cell, he can explain it in detail and only lives in NJ. At 80 years old he will out work us both and is "Mr. Bucyrus Erie" in this area. I spoke to him and asked that your friend give him a call, glad to help. Bob

  13. #13Buck Guyther2016-06-24 11:13

    Thanks, Bob, I talked with Pat several years ago at Easy Digging show at the quarry, but that was before I knew that we needed this info. We will give him a call. Buck