Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bucyrus Erie collection

Tugger2 · 2021-08-18 21:12

Heres a few pictures of my collection. . It starts with a couple of 10Bs and goes up to the 30B. This is the 30B 22B and the 25 in the middle

Replies39
  1. #1Buddy2021-08-19 07:23

    Nice !

  2. #2Tugger22022-12-01 15:43

    Two of my 10Bs .The one on the hook came off a small barge and the other from a farmers field where it cleaned ditches. Both resting comfortably in the bush at home now

  3. #3DDoug2022-12-02 20:27

    I have lived near Erie Pa my whole life, and have driven past the B-E plant every day for around 40 years. If you look on Google earth, Weschler avenue is just west of the final assembly area, and was always kept as a brick street, until years after they closed down. https://goo.gl/maps/g5pNLvuC8PrV8E3B7 The tire store and other buildings are where B-E would exercise the new shovels, they had about 9-12 on a large pile in there working. The NE corner of 12th & weschler is a ramp, they would walk the machines down it, down weschler to the pile, hence the city not paving it. https://goo.gl/maps/RqjEqV47ktEkCFZa9

  4. #4Tugger22022-12-09 12:13

    Heres the 10B being rescued.

  5. #5Tugger22022-12-09 12:15

    And the collection as it rests today

  6. #6skyking12022-12-09 12:31

    love it, Tugger. Hope to visit it in person soon! How are you doing?

  7. #7Tugger22022-12-09 12:36

    Im doing pretty well ,i think. Certainly do have time to visit these days im not allowed to do anything else . Come on up and have a tour . seems all my retired buddies take pity on me and visit a lot more which is good

  8. #8mitch5042022-12-09 13:12

    My brother-in-law had two 22-Bs working, a 10-B conversation piece, a 30-B in the shop being restored to working condition, and a couple of parts machines. He also had a bunch of older farm tractors and equipment in use and not. The week he died, my sister called in the scrapper. She refused to discuss selling anything to anybody who wanted individual machines, including 2 early '90s pickups in daily use.

  9. #9skyking12022-12-09 13:18

    I can make it a combination visit of my brother in North Vancouver and you. I don't know where you're at but we can figure that out.

  10. #10Tugger22022-12-09 13:25

    I hope the scrapper had a heart for old machines. I have got some real prizes from the scrap yard ,saved the scrappers some cutting and put a good profit in their pockets. They had 2 D8 s both in good running order. I should have taken both. Took one used it on a job and sold it after . The D6 9u i had known about for years one owner ,died and the family called the scapper,who in turn knew of my addiction to old junk. gave him 4500.00 . it was just serviced ,new steering clutches and otherwise in excelent shape.

  11. #11Tugger22022-12-09 13:30

    Im in downtown Coombs . If you have heard of the Coombs market im just down the road . The only thing is id feel bad about you having to take the ferry to Nanaimo. BC ferries are a gong show now . 0 reliablity !! If you were just coming to the Island id say take the Anacortes or the Black Ball at least they are dependable

  12. #12skyking12022-12-09 13:36

    that 6 is nice. A guy could make some money just parking it on a dump site and going by to knock down the fill from time to time. A ferry ride is not a thing at all. I will have to re-think this a bit. My wife will now want to go We can come across on the Black Ball out of Port Angeles and then go across on the BC ferries, unless my brother wants to get away and meet us over there. That would be efficient as he would go as a foot passenger.

  13. #13mitch5042022-12-09 14:13

    Nope, cut booms off and smashed everything down small as possible before loading it, including the pickups. Didn't even take the tags off the trucks, but he did pay the fines for her not having tags to turn in.

  14. #14Tugger22022-12-09 14:20

    Funny how they would do that. Ive alway been happy to pay double the going rate on scrap for good finds. The outfit i got these from was the biggest in BC ,they saw it as good profit. They also ran a good sales yard for steel . Yards now seem bent on destruction.

  15. #15skyking12022-12-09 14:23

    here are a couple of booms getting cut off Bucyrus Erie draglines near me. I used to take people around those booms on sightseeing flights.

  16. #16Tugger22022-12-09 14:33

    I hate seeing destruction of good stuff but have to admit it looks like fun. Send me a PM when your thinking of coming over here , ill you my number. Cant guarantee the royal tour in my present state but would be good to show you the junk and have a coffee n some bs.

  17. #17mitch5042022-12-09 14:35

    This scrapper is a friend, he says it's not worth the time to deal with all the tire kickers,

  18. #18skyking12022-12-09 14:45

    It will be a while, what with how my sister is doing. You'll be good as new by then

  19. #19Hank R2022-12-09 16:09

    Tugger I hope to get your way after the New Year, as I still have a bunch of reading material for you I have not forgot.

  20. #20skyking12022-12-09 16:20

    In a perfect world I'd meet you there, Hank.

  21. #21Tugger22022-12-09 16:59

    Look forward to seeing you Hank. Is Merv still in Princeton?

  22. #22Hank R2022-12-09 17:47

    Yes he is I was going to see him a month ago but they were putting a new roof on the complex where he is and they were neat the front where he is so I did n Would been there in Sept but Daughter and husband were having issues so we stayed away , as we get along with both.

  23. #23Truck Shop2022-12-09 18:30

    In Chelan for years a Bucyrus 22 shovel set idle, was kind of a landmark. Then it disappeared, scrapped I suppose. People used it as a yard stick for directions.

  24. #24Tugger22022-12-09 18:54

    Always wanted a shovel . had draglines cranes and a pull shovel.

  25. #25Tugger22022-12-09 18:57

    Good to hear Merv is hanging in there. You can tell him his 22B is still ready for the next job.

  26. #26Truck Shop2022-12-09 19:03

    IIRC there was some old Bucyrus stuff parked at the end of this yard.

  27. #27Tugger22022-12-09 19:07

    Maybe the Bucyrus Eries are what started that mighty operation. A 22B transilift??

  28. #28Truck Shop2022-12-09 19:52

    I always liked this photo I took-tire track comparison.

  29. #29Tugger22022-12-09 19:57

    Cool shackles ,if your a young gorilla type. I remember Lampson coming to the Harmac Pulp Mill in the late 80 s and rigging some kind of giant derrick to do a lift on the steam plant . You could the blue boom towering over the the mill stack from down town.

  30. #308V712022-12-09 23:16

    Love the old conventional‘s nothing like the sound of squealing drums the smell of gear oil, Bon-ami powder, and asbestos dust

  31. #31John C.2022-12-10 13:12

    Never use Bon-ami but did use lots of Fullers Earth.

  32. #32Tugger22022-12-10 13:16

    When the fullers earth ran out it was smashed up light bulbs sometimes floor dry. At that point it was hard to beat a new set of linings and some proper adjustment.

  33. #33John C.2022-12-10 13:22

    I hadn't heard of smashed up light bulbs.

  34. #34mowingman2022-12-10 17:30

    We always used Fullers Earth on our 80D power shovel. The local drugstore made sure to keep a good supply in stock. I have never heard of the crushed light bulbs either.

  35. #35skyking12022-12-10 18:36

    As the deck engineer on the derricks, I greased the pivots and shafts, and then removed every bit of excess grease that came out. That was the best bet for good operation and I took some comfort in knowing I had it clean. I never had to apply any of that stuff, but the day shift crew did on the Duwamish dredge job.

  36. #368V712022-12-10 19:34

    Most of the drag lines (NorthWest 41’s and LS 78 Speeders)I had to repair we’re in scrap yards were they brought them in for scrap and the owners put them to work unloading trucks. Their maintenance program was to call somebody out when they completely quit working. The guys I work for that hung iron took much better care of their equipment never had to do that stuff with their cranes.

  37. #37RedTruck11002024-08-23 12:51

    These two were at the vocational school in Nanaimo, 1970. From my dad's album.

  38. #38Tugger22024-09-21 23:55

    They both ended up in Cassidy ,south of Nanaimo.I think the cable hoe became a crane with a magnet at the Canam scrap yard(now Schnitzer) .The shovel sat on the farm near the scrap yard until recently and i heard was donated to the Duncan Forest Museum. I had my eyes on the shovel for a few years and one day it was gone.

  39. #39PeterP92024-09-29 13:47

    The shovel has been at the Forest Discovery centre for the past 2 or 3 years now. Pretty straight looking Machine to my eyes.