Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bucyrus-Erie Machines, Modified for Logging

Contract Logger ยท 2010-03-20 19:05

I ran across some old sales literature and thought this would be a cool thread. No doubt many of us worked around the 30-B and 38-B machines, so I saw these gems and scanned em' in! They're old and grainy, so bear with me. Oh- and add any you might have! We can start with some early hydraulic machines I guess.

Replies20
  1. #1Contract Logger2010-03-20 19:10

    Looks like Weyerhaeuser really liked them, they had all kinds of the line machines in the different camps as well.

  2. #2Contract Logger2010-03-20 19:17

    From the brochure.

  3. #3Contract Logger2010-03-20 21:26

    Found thes on the worl wide web..... loading right over the front.

  4. #4farmIT2014-12-29 13:27

    Old thread but WOW those things are massive!

  5. #5crisco62552014-12-30 15:57

    25-b drag line converted to log loader

  6. #6Vigilant2014-12-30 16:07

    Would love to see some more pics on the 25-B if you have any. Thanks.

  7. #7Chopper952014-12-30 16:08

    I'm surprised I haven't stumbled across this thread in the past... I never knew BE had any sort of logging equipment, that 65-HL looks like a cool piece. I wonder if any of those models have survived being scrapped?

  8. #8Vigilant2014-12-30 17:58

    Smallest BE I ever saw working in the woods was a 30-B with a heel boom. They were fairly popular back in the day.

  9. #9Chopper952014-12-30 18:48

    I found a couple other shots of an old BE excavator converted to a log loader buried in the forum; grapples are said to be 60".

  10. #10skadill2014-12-30 20:38

    B.e. Seemed to be more of these on the U.S. side back when,than in Canada,but there were some here.Old RB auction pics.These are obviously American applications.

  11. #11mitch5042014-12-30 21:43

    Guy I know used to have a swamp logging operation using a highline yarder. He had a 50-H that he used mostly to anchor the highline, but it had a grapple on it. (100,000 lb machine) He scrapped it and the yarder a few years ago. He cranked it up to unload the yarder off the lowboy, and the scrapyard has been using it ever since. he called it the "tailhole" but if he hadn't been raised in the SC swamps, he probably would have called it a "tailhold" ?

  12. #12Chopper952014-12-30 22:41

    Hey Skadill, Do you scan all these old RB images off of auction catalogues you have, or are they online somewhere? Big fan of your YouTube videos by the way, lots of interesting films!

  13. #13skadill2014-12-30 23:26

    They arent online.They come from my collection and two friends,which darn near covers most all the RB activity.I have thousands of them like this scanned onto computer,dating back to the 60's

  14. #14camptramp2014-12-31 00:20
  15. #15Vigilant2014-12-31 12:15

    Thanks, Mr. Tramp.

  16. #16Chopper952014-12-31 12:58

    That's pretty amazing :notworthy I could spend days going through those old ads, so much equipment that has since disappeared in time

  17. #17lg junior2015-01-01 22:01

    Its been a while since i've posted anything so i'll see if I can remember how to do this. I had a few Bucyrus Erie log loaders way back when. They were pretty good machines in their day. Fairly fast for a low pressure hydraulic machine. Big and heavy too, if I remember correctly the carrier mount one was eleven feet wide and weighed 98,000 lbs.

  18. #18lg junior2015-01-01 22:12

    This 25B also had a dipper stick with it and was powered by a 4-71. I bought several pieces of equipment from the fellow that owned it, but passed on it. It ran well and I probably should have saved it from the scrappers in hind sight.

  19. #19lg junior2015-01-01 22:31

    This was a BE 300H that I bought may years ago for the carrier. It was a high pressure machine, pretty much trashed from Weyerhaeuser. Both rubber mount loaders came from Weyerhaeuser in Kalamath Falls. The track mount one was from Boise Cascade.

  20. #20Vigilant2015-01-01 22:40

    Looks like a shop-built heel boom on that 25-B.