Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Buddy barry’s d6d

King of Obsolete ยท 2009-07-22 19:22

on buddy barry's d6d serial # 04X07935, there is an oil leak down the side of the bell housing. we popped the stump pans off and put the cat over the pit in the shop and watched the oil come from this pump at the top off the bell housing on the driver side of the cat (canadian driver's side not OZie driver's side, LOL). i took this picture after i washed it down so that is water droplets in the picture as i look up at the pump thing. of course buddy barry didn't buy the parts book on ebay last summer so we have no way of knowing what seals to order. can someone scan a copy of their parts book so we can pick the parts needed. also i'll send you an autogragh copy of one of my books for your troubles. thansk KoO Published Author

Replies6
  1. #1LonestarCobra2009-07-22 20:43

    That would be the power train oil pump, aka the trans. pump. I dont recall the part numbers, but usually I replace the bushings in the housings also.

  2. #2King of Obsolete2009-07-22 21:04

    thansk, i think that the seals are gone where it is bolted on. GEO Ron and i stood in the pit last night with the cat running about 3/4 throttle and watch the pump get wet. we would wipe it off and it would get wet again. since i live at the end of the world, i don't want to pop it off untill i know what seals i need and have them in my hand. thansk KoO Published Author

  3. #3oldirt2009-07-22 21:07

    The large oring seal is leaking that fits on the face of the trans pump. This seal will get hardened when the trans is run while overheating the oil, then the thing will leak, along with the seals on the scavenge pump under it and probably the vent tube above the driveshaft. Take that pump clear off, put it on the bench and take it apart, I would bet it stinks like it was burnt. You will now need to get a new pump too. The bad news is the trans is already leaking by enough to cause all this heat and it and also the converter probably needs rebuilt too. I have the same tractor and I am in the middle of the same thing.

  4. #4King of Obsolete2009-07-22 21:14

    thansk olddirt, the oil smell great and i don't think this cat has worked hard enough to over heat. i think is is just age of the machine that is causeing these little leaks. buddy barry does not like any puddles under his equipment where as my 318 detroit in my SCREAMING FORD, i watch the oil drip on to the ground. do you have i picture in the parts showing all the seals needed when removing the pump??? thansk KoO Published Author

  5. #5oldirt2009-07-23 18:59

    post me your email address, I will take a picture of what you are looking at and send it to you if you want. I don't see any way to post a picture here although many others have.. My oil smelled good too, somebody had recently changed it just before I got the tractor, but when I pulled the pump apart it was like a burned grill was in there. Good luck..

  6. #6Cmark2009-07-24 05:30

    Hi Koo I've sent you the pics on a PM. The site won't let me post them. Hope this help.