Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Building a cat 797

tuney443 ยท 2009-12-27 15:58

I was just watching on tv the 88 day sequence of construction on the massive 797's.Unbelievable that the huge pins for the pivots on the dump body and the hoist cylinder were installed with no grease at all.Mechanics with huge sledgehammers banging them in very slowly.

Replies4
  1. #1Chris917862009-12-27 18:51

    Yea I saw that and was like ***

  2. #2ben46a2009-12-27 22:39

    88 days? where was this taken at? here in fort mac we kick them out the door in two weeks. I dunno who would put body pins in with no gease, i always use lubriplate. Slides in like nothin when you get the bores lined up right.

  3. #3Vantage_TeS2009-12-27 22:44

    I think they are talking about building at a factory vs assemby after shipping.

  4. #4JTL2009-12-28 00:40

    I watched the same show this afternoon on The Speed channel. It was called Ultimate Factories. The 88 days was from start to delerviery at the oil sands. And yes, the Finning mechanics at the shop at Ft. Mac were beating the hoist and bed tilt pins in dry.:beatsme A little grase goes a long ways! Jason