Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Building Cat 5230B ME

bigpeps · 2008-05-21 00:40

Hello All, First post so be gentle , I am going to build a 1:50 Caterpillar 5230B, I have got a brochure for the 5230. But I need some reference pics to help with the project. So if you have any pics or can get a hold of any that would be much appreciated. I am looking for pics of the hydraulic lines, undercarriage and any general close-ups to aid with the details of the model. Even if they are re-posts I'll be happy to get anything that you can throw my way So I thought since I am asking for pics, I'll give you one to start with: 1. Here is a mock-up 5230B in cardboard that I have made up, that is a 988B in the foreground. 2. Is the cab that I have made up 90% finished so far.

Replies8
  1. #1AtlasRob2008-05-21 15:38

    Thats an awesome talent you have :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy Have you tried doing a search? I know those big exc have been mentioned in several threads in my time on here so I am sure there will be lots of pictures. Checkout Rockbreakers avitar for an undercarriage shot

  2. #2CAT D9H2008-05-21 15:48

    Thats awesome , I have thought about trying to build a 1:50 scale 5230B before , but for some reason I abandoned that idea for some reason , keep the pics coming oh and what material are you using to build it ?

  3. #3Cat 328d lcr2008-05-21 16:26

    Great start!

  4. #4bigpeps2008-05-21 17:06

    Thank you, I have done a couple of searches and have come up with about 6-7 pics, that was on this site and on Google, for the biggest machine made by cat, there are stuff all photos of them on the net. I am making the model out of Sheet and strip styrene, I will most probably get the tracks, rams and all the small detailed stuff like that off the net. This is going to be a long term project as I have a fire dozer, scania, dolly and low boy and two 777D’s on the go at the moment. If you want pics of these let me know. I will sort of make a module at a time, I’m going to do the engine module next.

  5. #5stretch2008-05-21 17:28

    Pics please! And post them of the 5230B when you're done, I hate it when people ask for this info and then they never come back when the project's done. :beatsme

  6. #6bigpeps2008-05-21 18:54

    Yep I'll keep the photos coming. Here is a quick pic of my 'plant park' and 777D's, L-R back 2 777D's, 5110B, 5230B Front 988B, scania, 1/70 d10, D8R In the front is my Scania with low boy about 80% done The 777D's are based on the ones used in New Zealands largest coal mine-Stockton on the west coast of the South Island. The one on the left is 95% finished, just waiting on some decals. Original on the right.

  7. #7plowking7402008-05-21 22:12

    what are you using for construction material? Brass? Styrene? ABS?

  8. #8bigpeps2008-05-22 00:11

    As above I am using Styrene.