Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Building Pad

ovrszd ยท 2022-04-13 16:05

I don't even consider myself a Dozer Operator, but I'll post these pics here. I spent Sunday thru Tuesday running a JD850K dozer. Friend of mine owns a JD850Kwt. He got a job building a pad. The land owner has a 850 but no operator. So I got hired on to run his dozer. Ryan is smooth as a '47 Chevy in a Dozer seat. I'm not. I can run one and that's about it. I'm a Blade man. The blade is in the wrong location on this thing...... The job was to build a 500ft x 450ft flat pad. The owner is going to construct two buildings on the site. A 50x100ft. And a 60x300ft. Ryan put a 1 foot drop North to South on the pad. We finished yesterday but I forgot to get a good pic of the completed project. I've gotta go back down there in a couple days so I'll try to remember to get a pic then. I pulled a Sheep's Foot part of the time. Most of the time was double pushing beside Ryan.

Replies7
  1. #1ovrszd2022-04-13 16:10

    We started on a bald T shaped ridge mainly running North to South. About 2ft drop toward the South. When we were done we had fill at all four corners with a little in the middle of the West side and none in the middle of the East side. The deepest fill was 8ft at the Southwest corner.

  2. #2CM19952022-04-13 19:18

    Nice work! How are ya'll carrying grade? Laser, GPS, hubs..lol? 500x450 is a big pad.

  3. #3skyking12022-04-13 19:43

    yes that is a big plane to create. 1' over 450' is a pretty shallow slope. That stuff looks like quite a bit of clay content I love doing the double pushing stuff.

  4. #4ovrszd2022-04-14 09:17

    I was just the grunt, Ryan was the master. We just eyeballed it until we were within 4" or so. Then set flags wherever we were at grade, 8 or 10. Then cleaned to those flags. I can "see" grade fairly well having finished several pads with a grader and thousands of hours of grading roads. But I don't have the finesse to finish with a dozer. At the end Ryan would haul ass across the pad at 3 mph or so skimming it smooth. I bragged on him and he humbly said "I've watched you do that with a grader before and thought the same thing". Then I dragged a wheeled box blade around behind a tractor for a couple hours.

  5. #5ovrszd2022-04-14 09:21

    3 or 4 inches of top soil, then Missouri clay. Had good moisture content and packed well in the filled areas. In a couple spots it bordered on too wet. After the owner gets his buildings done I'll go back and push the top soil up onto the pad and spread it.

  6. #6ovrszd2022-04-14 09:22

    I've double pushed using the grader alongside a Dozer several times. Triples or quadruples the amount of dirt in a long push.

  7. #7skyking12022-04-14 09:37

    I've only done it a couple of times, it was 2 loaders. We were pushing out a pond at a mobile crusher, just one push. One machine would probably get next to nothing it was so watery. The bottom was hard so no chance of getting buried. One push then a lot of cleaning!