Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Service information for a D4C dozer

skyking1 ยท 2022-04-13 11:28

We borrowed this one from the neighbor in exchange for doing an oil change. I am going to ask when the last time the bevel gear oil, hydraulics, and transmission were serviced too. I don't want to go out and change everything needlessly, but if it is due then DUE it. 1) What is the service interval on those things? 2) recommended engine oil and quantity? 3)go to Cat for filters, or baldwin etc? Thanks fellas. There may or may not be manuals for it at the house. SN 6YL01043

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2022-04-13 12:46

    Transmission filter every 500 hours/3 months. Oil - 1000 hours/6 mos. Hydraulic system - ditto. Bevel gear compartment/Steering brake and clutch/Final Drives - change oil every 1000 hours/6 mos. Anything meeting API CG-4 spec or above. 10W/30 covers ambient temps (for cold start) between -4 and 104 DegF, 15W/40 covers +5 to 122 DegF. Refill capacity quoted as "approximately" 3.4 US Gallons but you may find different. Fill to marks on dipstick and you won't go far wrong. I'd use OEM or Donaldson but that's personal preference. Check if Cat have any offers on oil/filters. Often it makes them cheaper than will fit alternatives. You won't know until you ask.

  2. #2skyking12022-04-13 13:28

    Thank you Nige. I will ask but my bet is, nothing has been done since purchase. It all looks really good, but very likely timed out vs. houred out. The greasing was atrocious and we had no gun. That will be rectified. What fluid is appropriate for the bevel, hydraulic, and transmission?

  3. #3Nige2022-04-13 14:32

    Bevel gear & Final Drives - TO-4 SAE 50. Hydraulic - SAE 10W (or ISO 32). You could even use TO-4 SAE 10W if it was cheaper. The additives that make it suitable for power train use will do no harm to a hydraulic system. Transmission - TO-4 SAE 30.

  4. #4skyking12022-04-14 10:42

    Filters from Cat: Engine oil 1r-0734 Cat price $10.34 hydraulics 1r-0719 Cat price $16.49 trans 1r--0746 Cat price $20.41 o-ring 5k1770 Cat price $9.26 Capacities Hydraulic 15 gallons trans 7.5 bevel 4 finals 2.5 each clutch/brake 7.5 each

  5. #5skyking12022-04-14 10:43

    the clutch/brake is also TO-4 SAE 50 ?

  6. #6Nige2022-04-14 11:02

    I don't see fuel filters on that list. Were they changed recently.? It is - also known as a bevel gear compartment (see above). There is also a breather on that compartment that should be cleaned. It sits atop a small standpipe on top of the bevel gear case. There is also an identical breather on top of the transmission case that should be cleaned.

  7. #7skyking12022-04-14 11:20

    no, I did not get the fuel filter part number. Good catch. That one is a must.

  8. #8Nige2022-04-14 13:15

    5I-7951 is the spin-on fuel filter. Did you inspect the air filter elements yet.?

  9. #9skyking12022-04-14 13:50

    no, I checked the bowl and the indicator. I will add that fuel filter to the text for him to pick up. Thank you.

  10. #10Nige2022-04-14 13:54

    Sent you a PM.