Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Building Permit Handling Services?

Birken Vogt ยท 2019-06-24 10:32

With the amount of garbage that the various jurisdictions want these days, I have noticed there are some companies out there that will process and file your permits for you. I am thinking about trying out one or more, but figured some of you on here must have had some experience with them and could offer words of wisdom. I have been stuck in the office the past couple weeks on various paperwork and I am tired of it.

Replies9
  1. #1Former Wrench2019-06-24 15:43

    You are in an interesting situation. I have written road construction permit applications and environmental documents for the Alaska State DOT for the last 10 years, and for a tribal govt. for 5 years before that. That means I work with everyone from agency folks, to designers to construction engineer managers, to field foremen. The EV game is confusing because it is contradictory. The F&G care about fins, fur, and feathers while the SHPO cares about historic resources. They all have their areas of concern while the EV doc is made up of all of them. Problem is that each agency operates using there own set of rules/laws that were designed for them and their oversights. It is my opinion that the contractor should be in the field constructing something and making money. Unless they are that rare case, they are losing money by stepping into the permit arena. Permits are confusing, frustrating, boring, and time consuming. If you can afford it, hire a permit consultant. But remember, just because someone has 20 years working around USACE wetland permits, it does not mean they become experts with USCG Title 9 Bridge permits and so on. If you go out to hire, review and find out the person's background to make sure it mirrors your needs.

  2. #2redneckracin2019-06-24 17:27

    I did my own permits for building my house and I think it would have been pretty difficult had it not been for my engineering degree, my drafting capability, and my upbringing working on projects. I will be following this thread with interest since I have toyed with the idea of doing just what you are proposing.

  3. #3CM19952019-06-24 19:53

    The wife and I are finalizing our plans for our new home build. We will have to go through Architectural Control Board for the HOA, impact fees with associated paperwork for a water meter, final septic permit (I have septic approval for the lot) and finally a building permit. We'll need a structural engineer as well because I want elevated concrete decks instead of wood for easier maintenance. I was a homebuilder/developer for 15 years before the 2009 depression and now I'm in the commercial side as a subcontractor. Even with my knowledge of the local process and personally know the city plans reviewer, I would consider hiring a service to handle it all depending on the price. My sanity has a price as well as the $$ that can be earned doing what we do everyday to make a living instead of going through gov't paperwork. I like the concept, interested to see what the cost is Birken.

  4. #4td25c2019-06-29 20:50

    I like that idea CM ! Concrete is about as low maintenance as it gets and none of us are getting any younger . Congratulations on the new home .

  5. #5Ronsii2019-06-29 23:05

    around here there have been guys that handle the permits for you for the last twenty or so years... I think they have a flat rate... and personally I think they 'lobbied' the powers that be to make getting permits as hard as possible for the average person but anyways that's just how it is I guess... As for the concrete decking... great idea, no more creaky decking that rots in a few years but a word to the wise... don't ever use ice melt on it!!! or make sure you seal it good every year or maybe coated rebar... could get expensive though

  6. #6CM19952019-06-30 10:14

    The permitting process is pretty simple for residential of course it's more involved for commercial. I don't think I have to worry about ice... True on expense but I have a bone yard of I-beam and other structural steel that I'll use to build them. Both decks will be covered and one screened. Now the screening is a must this time of year of you won't have any blood left in you after being out there for 15 mins.

  7. #7DMiller2019-06-30 11:21

    Luckily only permits required of here was for Septic, Gasconade County no city slop here. They adopted a Minimum acreage requirement some years back and household Human effluent waste has to have some serious considerations for now. Base on number of Bedrooms not baths as to how many people can accommodate for waste water. Allow Grey water for Sinks, Laundry, water softener type effluents(for Now). Have those aligned where should they have to go underground can do so pretty quick and easy.

  8. #8td25c2019-07-02 20:35

    Our Home Owners Association is pretty strict with the rules . " If a new member don't not have a car up on cinder blocks in the front yard the HOA will provide one for them " .

  9. #9John C.2019-07-07 10:51

    Was at a family gathering talking to some cousins and after describing the trials, tribulations and costs of building a simple shop building with no plumbing, insulation or heat in King County, Washington, one of our clan described where he lives like this; The turn off to my house has about twenty mail boxes with a dirt road just beyond them. The place is about a half to three quarters of a mile off the pavement with a sign that says no trespassing. All of the drive ways have a sign similar to it but mine has have a dozen bullet holes through it. I've never seen an inspector come out this way.