Not sure the "right" spot for this post but I am in the process of acquiring equipment for a small business and I am trying to get general liability insurance. I will ... eventually... have a tractor and bush hog... pto chipper... dump trailer... mini ex with thumb (3.5 or 4 ton) and skid steer with root grapple and maybe a mulching head. I plan to do mostly brush clearing and pond banks and driveways and fence rows... concrete slab demo etc... not so much construction but I can't see turning down work. I need General Liability insurance but can't seem to get a good quote anywhere.... they don't even know how to classify my business most places... can anyone that does similar work help me out? I am in Texas and I would like good insurance before I start my business. Thanks.
Hey Donm I moved this thread over to Admin duties in the "In the Office" forum as it fits better here. Are you talking to an agent that writes commercial policies or your average "State Farm" home and auto type agent? We have an independent agent that only writes commercial policies so they not only have commercial insurance carriers in their book but they understand our business. On a side note - commercial auto is through the roof at the moment so you want to get a quote for your truck before pricing out too many jobs. For example I have 4 pickups, 4700 service truck and trailers and my premium this year was $15K. We have no claims and good drivers..
I have talked to all the people that come up with an internet search of general liability insurance... as soon as you say you may do excavating or tree removal or pond work they day they can't insure you. I have a local insurance broker? that is working on getting me quotes. He said he understood my business and could get me insurance but I don't feel like the quote necessarily reflected an understanding of what I would be doing.
Ever find insurance that fit your needs? I'm in Texas too and Texas Farm Bureau insures my equipment. I went with Next insurance for general liability.