Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Building steps from stone

upnover ยท 2011-11-03 23:30

Just wondering if anyone has advice on building a set of steps from stone to tie into a stone retaining wall. I have tons of stone from drilling and blasting my basement. I'll be using my mini to handle the large rocks. Is it best to start working from the bottom up or top down? I know I need to keep the rise and run fairly equal all the way through. Has anyone else done this and have some pictures/advice to share? Cheers

Replies7
  1. #1mxridernrth2011-11-04 17:16

    Bottom up is the normal way. Are you using mortared stone or slabs? Consistency matters on rise as it is easy to trip. What is the total rise?

  2. #2joispoi2011-11-04 17:29

    If you want steps that are comfortable to climb, the rise should be less than the run. The step should be no less than 12 inches deep. The risers should be around 8-10 inches high. Find a set of steps that you like and take some measurements. Like mxrider said, start at the bottom. Your risers should be supported by the step below.

  3. #3upnover2011-11-04 21:32

    I'm trying to use the rock that was taken out of my basement. The trick is to sort through it all to get consistent sizing. The idea is to place it with out any mortar. Not sure what the total rise is just yet as I have to do a bit of figuring out the total landscaping with the retaining wall. If someone has some pictures to upload that would be great!

  4. #4mxridernrth2011-11-04 22:46

    without nice slabs you will be hard pressed to make decent stairs. Use mortar and smaller pieces.

  5. #5JD88752011-11-07 11:14

    I've set several sets since I bought my mini a year ago. I start at the bottom with an overdig and set the first step on compacted 3/4 minus stone, before I lay the first slab I cut an over dig fr the second step. Set the first and backfill behind it with 3/4 minus and compact. Just keep walking up the bank like that until I get to the top. At the top I set a slab at grade with the yard on a compacted stone base again. Finding slabs that are fairly consistent in size and thickness is the hardest part. A thumb makes the project ten times easier. Good Luck John

  6. #6mxridernrth2011-11-07 16:43

    It's easy with nice slabs like these. They were expensive

  7. #7upnover2011-11-09 20:43

    Great picture MXRIDERNRTH. I have about 300 cu yds of rock to sort through so I should be able to find 20 or so slab pieces. Just have to wait till the white topsoil melts in spring