Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Building up a dump truck. What to buy: Ford LTL-9000 or Ford L9000 ????

mowingman ยท 2014-10-16 21:02

Building a dump truck.What to buy:Ford LTL-9000 or Ford L9000 ???? I am wanting to build a dump truck for hauling concrete and other building debris. Will install a 16' - 20' long bed, depending on what I can find. I want to build this cheap, as it will only be used now and then, and will only be used for short hauls from around town, to a couple of local dump sites. I have found 2 old Ford tandems locally, and they are cheap, so to speak. would like any and all opinions as to which might be the best to go with. #1. 1983 Ford LTL 9000 truck tractor, with 32"sleeper and 186" of frame from back of cab 400 cummins 13spd trans 24.5 rubber, (needs 5 new tires) Farmer owned last 20 years or so Little used last 2 or 3 years Starts right up an lot-drives very well Asking price is $5500.00 #2. 1985 Ford L9000 truck tractor, daycab, Tulsa 34 winch behind cab, 144" of frame from back of cab 350 cummins 10spd trans 22.5 rubber, (needs 8 tires) contractor owned last 20 years Parked last 4 or 5 years Starts right up an lot-drives Idles way too high, probably needs minor fuel pump adjustments/cleaning Asking price $5500.00 Both seem solid, both are pretty old, both need a PTO installed, frames lenghtened, and dump bed installed. What to youall think. Which one, or are both too old to fool with. Thanks.

Replies8
  1. #1td25c2014-10-16 21:33

    I kind of like the 1985 L9000 better due to it is a day cab . Is it double frame by chance ? Sounds like it just needs the low idle speed adjusted . Both trucks have my favorite engine , big cam cummins .

  2. #2old-iron-habit2014-10-16 22:46

    Looks like a frame lengthening job ahead on either for the box you want. I would consider the day cab and look for a shorter full frame dump trailer. I see the shorter steel ones come up quite reasonable sometimes. Might be cheaper than converting either truck. The one with the winch should have a PTO, or what powers the winch?

  3. #3Old Doug2014-10-17 13:03

    Why dont you find a dump truck to start with rather than spend money to build one? It seams cheaper to buy some thing that is together than to by a truck have frame work,cabwork then by a bed and hoist that may need work and put it all together. unless you can do the work it may cost as much as 3000.00 just a guess to lengthen frame and install bed.

  4. #4mowingman2014-10-17 18:59

    I have been looking at that option also. Short trailers are really hard to find around here. Yes, it does have a PTO to run the winch. however, I have been told that the PTO on the truck will need to changed out, as it does not produce the proper RPM to run a hyd. pump for dumpbeds. I need to further check into that.

  5. #5mowingman2014-10-17 19:05

    It is almost impossible to find low priced, older dump trucks, anywhere around here. Construction, so every dump truck brings top dollar, usually more than they are worth. Also, most dump trucks have short 13' or 14' dump beds. I want a dump bed at least 16' long, possible 20' long. most older dump trucks have had a hard life. Older truck tractors can often be found that are in excellent condition for their age. This is not to say I haven't been looking for an older dump truck, all ready to roll. Just can not find what I want, at a price I want to pay.

  6. #6Steve Frazier2014-10-17 19:19

    The L will turn much better than the LTL

  7. #7JDOFMEMI2014-10-18 16:19

    This is just food for thought. Try widening your search. California has effectively outlawed older trucks, so there are few buyers and prices for pretty decent dump trucks are cheap. Transporting one home will add to the cost, but you might be surprised to see what decent dump trucks are selling for.

  8. #8mowingman2014-10-18 17:36

    Thanks. I will do some checking out that way. It sure would be a long road trip though. Especially in an "old" truck.