Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bull dozing with a skidder

TimberjackTim ยท 2015-06-27 21:33

I've got to spread a mound of soil around on my property. The soil consists of mostly sand and gravel with a little bit of top soil and the area is only about 50' by 50' and 3 to 4' deep. I'm thinking about buying an older skidder to do the job rather than bring in a D4 dozer for a day. Do you think a TJ 350/450 or Treefarmer C5/C6 would be up to the job?

Replies10
  1. #1lantraxco2015-06-27 23:40

    Anything with a blade will do the job, if you have patience and a bit of skill

  2. #2Vigilant2015-06-28 00:16

    50' by 50' and you want to buy a money pit to spread the material? I would get some quotes and farm that little job out. Or just wait until it cools off a little and go to town on it with a shovel and wheelbarrow.

  3. #3old-iron-habit2015-06-28 13:53

    A old log skidder will do the job. They are how ever probably the poorest choice of tool to do it with. The blades are designed for stacking logs and are slow and awkward with dirt. The tires are wider than the blade and the blades are not built heavy enough to hold up to jars and bangs well. How ever if you have a need for a skidder or need an excuse to buy one, take your time, do not get rammy, and you will get it done.

  4. #4TimberjackTim2015-06-29 07:30

    I've been out of the trade for 20 years, but I remember using the skidder for clearing some land to bring in a logging truck. The blade on my TJ350 was narrower than the wheels which didn't help the situation. But like you said, I think it's still possible. And I agree, we sometimes find an excuse to do something or buy something.

  5. #5ncnswlogger2015-06-29 07:33

    That's about right. I find it very hard to spred dirt nice and level with a skidder without lots of bumps. I dont mind skimming a few inches off a track or pushing away debris and stacking smaller logs around 40cm and under but that's it. Just not designed for any heavy pushing.

  6. #6LT-x72015-07-14 22:42

    Sounds like a few hours of work for a small dozer to me.... But don't let me talk you out of your excuse for a new toy :usa

  7. #7TimberjackTim2015-10-07 18:44

    Well, I brought in a D6 to do the job and I'm glad I did. It made short work of the brush and stumps, but under the top soil was a mixture of sand and gravel and boulders, many the size of garbage cans. The dozer operator said it was one of the toughest small sites he has ever done.

  8. #8old-iron-habit2015-10-08 01:29

    And where are the pictures? We patiently wait. Did you still use the excuse to buy the skidder?

  9. #9movindirt2015-10-08 13:48

    :witpic

  10. #10TimberjackTim2015-10-12 20:50

    I'll get a few pics up shortly. Btw, I've held off from buying a skidder. I need to build this house first. Then the grapple skidder comes