Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

USFS /BLM / CAL Fire Contractors

dzlnut ยท 2015-07-12 20:56

hi guys I am interested in starting up a tactical water tender business to contract with the USFS /BLM / CAL Fire and I need a little bit of guidance. This business will be based in California. 1. What is the best way to form the company for this kind of work; incorporate,LLC etc? 2. What forms/applications do I need to fill out for each agency? 3. What training do I need to receive in order to contract out to each agency? 4. Do I need to register my business with FBO biz or any other entities besides the ones listed? 5. Are tactical water tenders exempt from the CARB regulations? I would much rather run pre DEF/DPF truck

Replies3
  1. #1Oxbow2015-07-12 22:21

    FedbizOps is where you will find Forest Service Opportunities, FedConnect for BLM, and I can't help you with the State of California. I would be prepared to travel throughout the West, as the interagency fire center may request your service in any of the Western States depending on the fire year. I suspect Washington will have the most trouble early. Idaho has had considerable spring rains which has the potential to create a bad fire season late August through September. I think that the solicitations for these generally come out earlier in the spring, so you may have missed the opportunity for this year, but a call to the Forest Service and BLM would answer that. I cannot address the other questions that you have.

  2. #2dzlnut2015-07-12 22:25

    thanks Oxbow for the information that was quite helpful. I am preparing for the next year's fire season

  3. #3BradAZLR2015-07-14 20:25

    You'll need a SAMs number, dunns number, tax Id number. My company operates as an llc. We operate 2 forestry munchers and each agency does emergency equipment rental agreement, not sure if they do them for tenders. Best bet is to contact the local offices and find the contracting officer. You'll want to check into the Vipr program that's one of the primary sources for wildland fire procurement and awarded contracts are good for multiple years. To work on or near the fire line they require us to have an rt130 certification. Probably more but that's all I can think of at the moment. Be prepared to travel.