Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bull Moose Company. Vancouver B.C. Anyone have info?

Coleman396 ยท 2013-11-10 11:55

Hi Guys. I am sure some of you have seen Bull Moose mobile cranes used around the M&B shops years ago. I remember Franklin River shop had one for moving tires and heavy items around the yard. What I did not know is that they actually built a small dozer also. So I am looking for info about the Bull Moose company. I,m pretty sure they were in Vancouver B.C. and the products they built were sold through Kenworth dealers. The one I have found for sale is destined to be parted out and scrapped if I don't rescue it really soon. It's complete, has fresh undercarriage and will run with a carb cleaning and new battery, fluids etc. It has been sitting for just over a year. Kind hate to see this dozer get parted out so I might have to go rescue it. I have a couple pics of it... The engine is a four cylinder Wisconsin. I believe this crawler was built in the late 50's or early 60's. Transmission is some kind of a truck tranny with four speeds forward and of course reverse. Has hydraulic three way blade and a nice looking gearmatic winch on the back. She's all there but needs a new loving home. So, if anyone has any info at all about the Bull Moose factory I would sure love to read it. Thanks guys!

Replies19
  1. #172hayes2013-11-11 19:03

    Coleman I encourage you to rescue her! I hate the S word! Doug

  2. #2Coleman3962013-11-11 19:27

    Well, I am working on doing just that. People scrap all the good stuff and then we end up buying all the so called replacements from China or some other Bin Laden type country. Then we'll end up with a whole bunch of disposable crap that won't even be good enough to fix! At least if I can rescue her she'll be around until I'm gone.........lol.

  3. #3glenlunberg2013-11-11 20:05

    I agree. You really need to rescue her. I think she can still do lots of jobs.

  4. #4Coleman3962013-11-11 21:01

    Here's something I just found out. She's having a birthday on Thursday! 61 years young. Engine was built in April of 1950!

  5. #5mitch5042013-11-11 21:21

    Hey man, you can't be posting interesting pictures and not explaining them! I'll start a petition to get you :ban What's the story on the little red tractor?

  6. #6Coleman3962013-11-11 22:57

    Sorry for the suspense. That's an old Gibson tractor I picked up. It's from the 40's. I actually meant to post it in a different spot. As you can see I have a soft spot in my heart for this old iron. Silly how that's been around for so long and still runs, let's see Craftsman do that......lol.

  7. #7mitch5042013-11-12 07:59

    Gibson? I'll have to research that one. The baby Case is cute with the ag tires. Oh, btw, I still cut the grass with my grandfather's late '60s Craftsman mower, but, it does weigh twice what a new one does.

  8. #8Coleman3962013-11-12 09:49

    That's what I was meaning. Stuff built in the era of your grandfathers mower was built to last. Go but the local and fill and that's where all the newer mowers are after only a few years work. Keep that old Sears tractor!

  9. #9Mapleleaftrucks2013-11-12 12:49

    Thats a gibson either a d2 if it is a single cylinder engine or a super d2 if it is a twin cylinder engine if that is an original steering wheel, If some one has added the steering wheel then it would have been a gibson SD model with lever steering, I owned quiet a few of these back in the 70's and early 80's.

  10. #10Jumbo2013-11-12 18:41

    Gibson started out in Seattle on First Ave down around Lander Street, they made their name manufacturing crew Speeders for the logging industry; about the size of a Skagit MAC 60. When railroad logging started to fade they moved into small tractors like what we see here, they finally migrated into riding lawnmowers, then, sometime around the mid 60s I believe, they disappeared. If they were bought out or just closed I am not sure, my granddad had a small Gibson.

  11. #11trakloader2014-01-24 17:59

    Not much info out there on Bullmoose, I have seen Bullmoose forklifts, and, of course, the little yard cranes. Never knew they made a cat!

  12. #12ekuehn2014-05-09 04:18

    Coleman I know a bit about the Bullmoose Cat (Canadian Mobile) as I own part of one. I am missing a track and few other msc. parts. I was told they were sold to Skagit at some time(not sure when). It seems they used a lot of army surplus parts to build some of their equipment. The tracks use a double sprocket and run on the outside of the rail. That is the same as some military equipment but I have never figured out what equipment used the same track as the cat? I was told that at one time they used a lot of Bullmoose cats & forklifts on the docks at Vancouver. I know we had a Bullmoose forklift at Canadian Forest Products at Harrison Mills in the 1960's when I worked there. Bit of an interesting story, my wife's step father worked just south of Quesnel B.C. in the late 40's-early 50's on road construction (Emil Anderson I think?). He said they shipped a Bullmoose cat up to try as a prototype. He said they had to ship it back for more development because it did 35 mph in high gear. I don't know what they changed but mine has a Ford truck transmission. I haven't had it running so I don't what speeds it travels at? Coleman if you did not purchase it I would be interested in purchasing it or if it is parted out I need a track and probably could use a couple of idlers. I am located in Quesnel B.c. not far from you. I tried to send you a PM but I am new to this form and couldn't seem to get that to work. I will give you email on the form using (at) instead of @ and hopefully the spammers won't pick that up. email elkuehn(at)shaw.ca ph. 250-747-1164 Thanks; Ernie

  13. #1364Pacific2019-05-03 00:19

    I've got a 1950 model 624 forklift that is going to be my next project. Looking through the manuals it turns out that a lot of parts for this machine came from the Ford 8N / 9 series of tractors. I will grab some photos for the thread this weekend.

  14. #14Uzy2024-10-17 03:13

    Anyone interested in this cast aluminum Badge from a GTB1824 18000 lb forklift. It is 11.5โ€ wide 5.25โ€ high and just under 1/4โ€ thick $60 obo. Dan North Delta Text 604-802-8686

  15. #15Uzy2024-10-17 03:27

    Forklift was used by Canadian Airlines at YVR for loading and uploading jet engines from semi trucks and other things that required a bigger lift. The unit was parked about 15 years ago and was sold for scrap. I rescued the sign just before it got hauled away

  16. #16camptramp2024-10-18 19:34

    In the Summer of 1981 I hired out to run a "Hyster Fork Lift" at Burrard Yarrow's ship yard at Esquimalt (Victoria) BC . When I went to the yard the machine turned out to be a Bull Moose , it looked a bit like a front end loader and steered from the back . But instead of having forks it had a hydraulic controlled boom that could be extended with a winch line hanging from the end of it . It had all kinds of uses around the main yard . I don't know if there was more than one machine at the main yard , but the next morning I was sent over to the Dry Dock where their were three Bull Moose's in use by Burrard Yarrow's plus one that was used by the crew employed by the Graving Dock . It was an interesting Summer Sometimes I was down in the floor of the Dry Dock some times I was topside working around the perimeter of the Dry Dock . It only took a few minute to lift the machine in/out of the Dry Dock with the Dock side Cranes . A handy machine with many uses .

  17. #17Camshawn2024-10-18 21:24

    Local lumberyard had a Bullmoose forklift for yrs when I first moved out here. Dave used to get a local farm fixit guy to build new parts when something broke. It was replaced and disappeared when the new owners bought the lumberyard about 15 yrs ago.

  18. #1864Pacific2024-10-19 13:48

    Here is my 1950 B624, currently working on getting it running. Last ran around 1973. Bought it from the original owner. It has a flat head four cylinder Ford motor with a side mounted fuel pump. I'd like a replacement pump but can't find one if anyone has a part number for me to try...

  19. #19camptramp2024-10-19 22:13

    There use to be a Bull Moose in a yard at Mesachie lake Tuck Brothers are set up in that yard now . Maybe get hold of Braydon Tuck to find out what happened to it .