Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

bulldozer dozer or crawler loader, comparison of strengths and weaknesses.

trombeur ยท 2021-12-02 02:14

bulldozer dozer or crawler loader, comparison of strengths and weaknesses.: hi sorry for the layman's question: better bulldozer dozer or tracked loader, when to use the first machine when the second, in my opinion, is more complete as a machine and more versatile the second, what do you think, even if the tracked loader is now it has been replaced by the more versatile tracked hydraulic excavator, some reflection some clarification, thanks.

Replies10
  1. #1sealark372021-12-03 08:53

    The dozer does 85% of its work through the drive train, with 15% through the hydraulics. The tracked loader does 60% through the drive train, and 40% through the hydraulics. The dozer does its best digging and pushing material, while the loader does the same, with the additional ability to lift and dump material. The four-way bucket adds the ability to grasp and grade. While the dozer can do a lot of work, the loader is more versatile, but not quite as capable. The capabilities of the dozer, loader, and track hoe overlap in many ways, but an experienced operator can perform nearly any job on each tractor. I have a loader on the farm, but I would love to have a track hoe for its unique capabilities.

  2. #2trombeur2021-12-03 13:16

    thanks for your intervention, I see however that many farmers in small farms use small old excavators or backhoe loaders, the tractor type, with large rear and small front wheels and rigid frame, I think they are more versatile and more suitable for plowed fields, what about you think?

  3. #3boaterri2021-12-03 19:44

    A tracked machine will out push/load a wheeled machine and will not sink into soft material as easily. On the down side, they will rip up the ground more when turning.

  4. #4CM19952021-12-03 20:29

    If I only had one machine to make a living and put food on the table it would be a track loader.

  5. #5skyking12021-12-03 21:00

    They are practically non-existent out west it is odd. Out here wheeled loaders rule the pit, and if it is too soft for that then there is always an excavator. Dozers are not used in a big push either. They are grading materials that got there by either scrapers or articulating trucks on site.

  6. #6trombeur2021-12-04 03:51

    excuse me if I come back to the subject, what difference would there be between the tractor of the crawler loader and that of the bulldozzer, they are not the same, clearly the bulldozer advances forward pushes and traces the ground, while the carcass shovel penetrates the ground tears it and fills the bucket, maneuvers and loads the truck or moves the waste material, maybe it accumulates it, but if you tilt the bucket, it pushes the same as the bulldozer, you say that there is a different power shift type transmission with converter and hydrostat, sorry for the ignorance , maybe like the litronic liebherr transmission, sorry if I ask, I'm not a mechanic. Thank you

  7. #7Cat9772021-12-04 17:38

    If it was just going to be just one machine my choice is a track loader. If I had choices double, tall and thick grousers. A quick tach to put bucket, blades or grapples on. Having a ripper or back hoe on back could work for some, but wouldn't be a mind changer for me. My opinion the dozer does not trace the ground. It follows the cut the blade makes. With pilled or loose material it can float and keep level on the soft ground. They have wide tracks and use those tall single grouser pads to push when wheels would spin and bounce around. It would spread better than the track loader and way better than wheels. The 6 way dozer blade would help with contouring or 4 way sure helps too. Wheels are fast you can mow the grass or plow the drive way. I have 4WD and those new studded chains on my tractor loader. Excavators are plenty excellent if you have enough use for one.

  8. #8cuttin edge2021-12-04 19:03

    A lot of contractors that raise buildings and put basements under them use track loaders. There is an International, not sure of the size, it has the combo bucket, and the backhoe attachment on back. I notice the track pads are like an excavator but narrow.

  9. #9skyking12021-12-04 23:19

    The one big thing, tilt. The dozer blade tilts left to right. Some dozers also angle and this gives much easier control for fine grading. My first machine was a JD350b Crawler loader, and I became proficient over time for figuring out how to get good results without tilt. It takes time to come at the job from the side to get the machine leveled up, or lots of turn-and-lifts so you get material built up to correct your machine's tracks to level, or what ever angle you choose. If you are building a fill and have a high and low side, you have to work to maintain the tracks level on the thicker side of the fill. All of that is elementary with a dozer with a tilt blade. You just keep working forward and adjust the blade accordingly.

  10. #10trombeur2021-12-05 03:44

    in my part they have been replaced by crawler excavators and tipper trucks, but I believe that for many jobs it is essential, such as clearing the banks of streams from debris, in the hills on clayey soil, to create steps in the terraces to trace tracks and paths in the mountains where the ground is harder, it is used a lot in the agricultural sector, in large farms and farms, in quarries I no longer see even in large public works sites I have not seen any more, now the excavators are very powerful and versatile and have replaced the old tracked vehicles, which I believe indispensable for particular jobs, am I wrong?