Banks on Bulldozer Michael A. Banks, writer and editor of science fiction and non-fiction recently shared with us how Stephen Meader’s Bulldozer inspired him at an early age and helped shape his goals as a writer: "I first read Bulldozer in 1959, at the very beginning of the Space Age. Anything seemed possible, what with satellites orbiting Earth and men to follow. I was constantly exploring how things worked and trying to do more with my chemistry set and microscope than was possible. I built models, I read books, magazines and newspapers. With my friends I even built miniature Interstate highways on the dirt floor of an abandoned barn, using our Doepke and Tonka bulldozers, graders and other toys. My area had no organized sports to offer, and even the pickup baseball games I so enjoyed were given rather short shrift as I packed all my other activities–including Scouts–into days that always seemed to need more hours. "Through all of this I had a fine example–a role model–to inspire me to keep going and try new things: young Bill Crane and his bulldozer. This inspiration carried on into my young adult years, when Bill’s failures as well as his successes began to ring true. With the realization that I had no real support and would face failures came more inspiration, because that was exactly Bill’s situation. Decades after reading Bulldozer, I can look back over my own doubts and opposition, and feel good that I faced them and made it through them to succeed–just as Bill Crane and Stephen W. Meader himself did. Overcoming the doubts and opposition were in themselves successes, and further inspired me to continue striving for my goal: I became a writer, and next year will see my 45th book published." Like Michael Banks, I read this book as a child, about 1953. It is still in print, and like Mr. Banks, I was also inspired by Mr. Meader's book, although I certainly haven't published one book, let alone 45. About two years ago, some 62 years after I read BULLDOZER, I found it still in print, and sent a copy to each of my grandsons. I've seen another reference to this book on one of the HEF forums. I have no dog in this, but can attest that it would make a wonderful gift for a young fellow, or girl, for that matter, who's interested in good stories with happy endings.
i love the book , have read it several times. the last time was about 3 years ago while sitting in jury pool waiting for my name to be called.
I agree, it's a must read for children. Read the book first in the 50's and set me on a 50+ year journey In heavy Equipment. Still have the paperback and reread it again, after I retired for the first time in Many years. Totally Enjoyed it. Thanks for bringing it up. Tom
Can someone post a picture of the cover of the above book? I went looking for it today and no luck. Thanks,BP
http://www.amazon.com/Bulldozer-Ste...0&sr=8-1&keywords=bulldozer+by+stephen+meader
d9gdon,thank you. I will go back to Chapters tomorrow. One thing I notice is that all the members who have commented on this book are in USA. May not be available in Canada. Will soon find out.
I was bit by this book also when I was a kid. My dad and grandfather had a small father son dirt company so I could picture myself in this book myself.... read it to or 3 times while in school since the library was the only place I had ever seen it. Few year ago I discovered this here internet and went on a mission; to find the book again. I finally found it at Mr Meadors website. I've sent read it again, and enjoy it everytime!
http://www.southernskies.com/ I read this book as a boy borrowed from the local library. When I found it again I bought myself a copy. I still pick it up from time to time.
I remember checking this book out of the library and reading it in grade school. The picture brought back memories - thanks!
I first heard about this book when this thread was started a couple of weeks back. My wife ordered it for me on Amazon & it came in today. I am sure I will enjoy reading it.
From my childhood I consider it the third greatest work of literature. Behind Mike Mulligan and His steam shovel, and Katie and The Big Snow, but ahead of Year of The Jeep.