Just reminiscing a bit, I've told others my story's of the old dozin days, and doing summer time clearing on some nice 90 plus degree days, sitting on a D7 or 8, that most likely all that metal around the operator is close to operating temperature, I never had a good way then to check the temps, has anyone done so? I remember the floor was pretty warm. And yes it was so much fun in coveralls, dust mask, and working around the burn piles. Anyone else have some story's too?
Conversely, reversing the fan and covering everything in canvas to blow the heat around you.
Been there with a D7G. Mechanic grudgingly reversed the fan for me. hot stories, burning fires stories? Just one. We were clearing the ROW for a freeway expansion not far from here. There was a great operator on an 8 with a brush blade building piles out ahead of me and I was burning along behind him with a cobbled out 225 Cat and a handful of Honda powered fans. Light one get it started light the next and then walk the tracks off between the two piles, repeat repeat. I found out that most sensitive thing, the thing that made you swing the excavator away from the fire, to cry uncle, to throw in the towel. I thought it might be my face, or the backs of my hands out there closer to the inferno but no. It was nipples behind the T-shirt. When they lit off you had to go!! A heavier shirt would have worked a lot better but who does that doing a hot job on a hot day?
It is not the heat so much. It is the dust and then freezing cold days are the worst. You are essentially sitting down doing nothing so you are not going to warm up by exerting yourself.
I reversed the fan once I think. Even in very cold temps, it cooked me. But then having long johns and layers on for the open ROPS didn't help. I'd rather the good modern cabs that have quiet and clean cold air in the hot summer time, I got that once on a job.
I reversed the fan on one of my D8’s years ago. Big mistake. Rather stay cold
Not heat issues but cold.... I'll take the reversed blades....(winter only lol) I am late to the dozers as only started in 2013... We bought our Euclid C6 in late February of 2013 in Bonners Ferry Idaho. With me piloting, a local (to Bonners Ferry) driver with jeep/booster (road bans were in effect on some of route) took the machine over Kootenay pass home to the north Okanagan. Had a really skilled bush driver take machine into the bush on March 2, 2013 (only one blurry picture taken at km 17; still in the sagebrush, good road...) by km's 60-70's he was busting snow with trailing axles. Stuck on big switchbacked hillclimb with tridem tractor...give assist with my '05 gmc made it another 3km...done. Got unlucky as weather had warmed thawing grease/volcanic mud road base. Driver felt bad as we messed up road, I said: happens every spring, can't be helped. Overnighted in GMC crew cab, driver safely back to Lillooet. Full on blizzard that night, not terrible cold but dropped to -15/20c. Let block heater run off Honda 2000 all night. Next day swamped dozer/pickup from km 83 to km 90 (turn off). Was nervous at km 89 as iced up, off camber curve and Ross had warned me to be careful...grousers had good height but corners were showing some rounding... Plowed up steep hills from km90 into camp (10km). Full U-blade so just lowered and went! Angle blade would have been nicer (3' of heavy snow over the top) Took snowshoes, satellite phone etc...A walk out would have been okay as all downhill. Longwinded story to basically say "when sitting still in cold weather I prefer heat" Just sitting there, not doing any physical work my feet especially would have gotten very cold! the noise of that 6-71 surely must have woke some hibernating bears! But no worries I use really good earmuffs... Fan blades are now reversed, a wicked amount of heat was produced on feet in 32c summer weather.... Wish now I had a few more pictures! No cell phone then....
Looks like a high up drone picture. ?
Was taken from next switchback up looking down….