I have a couple old Fiat loaders that are in need of bushing and pin replacement .Do any of you guys have any advice on what material to use? I have to make them myself due to unavailability of either factory or, aftermarket. I have a full machine shop at my disposal so, that is not a problem. I am thinking brass for the bushings and, stress proof shafting for the pins. Pins are all around 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 dia. range. Not sure what grade of brass to use or, if there is a better alternative. Thank you
Bushing Material...CDA954 alum-bronze or SAE430B (CDA864) mag-bronze or Steel C1018-1026 deep case hardened to HRC57-59 Pins? Induction hardened hydraulic cylinder rod...C1045-C1050, effective case depth 0.070" to 0.120"...SAE4140-4142-4150 full Heat Treat HRC55-56. Cheaper to use micro-alloyed steel and deep induction hardening used by Cat, Komatsu etc.
Damn.....ain't Stan's first rodeo....or his second. Ed
For the bushings I might be tempted to get in touch with a good Cat parts man and have them look in their "Similar Parts" and look under "BEARING/PLAIN/RADIAL/SLEEVE". If you know what the sizes you need there is a chance Cat has them. Also while there have a look under "PIN/ASSEMBLY/PIN & PLATE" might find the pins that you need.
Since you have access to a machine shop, I'd be tempted to find bushings that were as close as possible in size to what you need and just machine them a little bit to fit the machine.
curb guy, LaSalle Stressproof, love the stuff, but a bit soft for equipment pins...better option ETD-150; will work harden to 53-55HRC. My buddy machined all of the prototype Cat D10 track rails, bushings and pin material was ETC-150! Bushings if you can find approx correct sized from OEM part number, then try to locate aftermarket for that part number. OEM cost mark up typically is over 500%! Machine with carbide or hard turning! Surface finish should max-RA32.
I have had success making the bearings out of 4140. Machined them a bit oversize,heat and quench in oil and final machine with ceramic tips to size. I did a small loader like that years ago after which it did anther 7000 hours without issues. Its a method that any small shop can do. The other way which is similar to OEM is use EN14 and have a heat treater carburise them and grind to size. I have done many pins from big to small using 4140 and getting them induction hardened to around 60 Rockwell.
E-bushing warehouse http://www.ebushing.com/index.html
Thanks for all the replies fellas! I will take them all into consideration. Not sure which way I'm gonna go. I will try to get pictures of it as I go.