Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Busted OTT

ironjunkie ยท 2012-01-22 21:22

Has anybody else broke one? I have pulled many of them out of the tracks, but have never seen this or would have expceted this to be able to happen. It was a new set of Grouser (brand) tracks, emailed them with some pics and they never responded! Now I know that threr is some one out there that can break anything but wouldn't you think that machine stalling would occur before this catastrophic failure? If I can't get the pics on, I broke 3 "dogbone" links and one "pad" or segment into 3 pc. I can't figure out posting a pic here sorry.

Replies4
  1. #1ironjunkie2012-01-31 22:27

    pics What, no body else ever had this happen? I feel that the machine should have stalled before this happened. This was an "all in one" event, that is one rock fell in the track and came around the tire (reg, not solid or foam filled) and pow! The tires are 14ply and 70 psi and the macine is the 110HP Gehl, but like I said I've had plenty of rocks fall in my last set, also Grouser, and this never happened. Must have been a bad casting. I welded up the track segment and replaced the "dogbones", so far it's been ok.

  2. #2lgammon2012-01-31 23:48

    wow never saw that. i wish mine would have done that. i always crammed the rock through the tire and cost me 200 for a tire, and had to straighten the rim. welding is alot cheaper.

  3. #3franklinute2012-02-01 07:32

    I have broken the bar at the middle of the tire on Grouser track before but never have seen a break on a track like yours. My break was due to track being worn out. Your track break could be attributed to "weakest link" due to your power and 14ply tires.

  4. #4buckfever2012-02-01 19:15

    We've broken the bolts that hold them together but never a pad or dogbone. And when we removed our tracks they were realy wore out.