Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 246 Engine Oil Pump

Wrench ยท 2012-01-24 12:30

Anyone have problems with oil pump on 246 Cat 3034/Perkins engine? this is second one in 6 months first one rod went threw block. Didn't take that one apart just put reman in. This one they shut down, so took front pulley off can spin gear freely oil pump.Cat dealer here says they never had any problems:confused.

Replies13
  1. #1rooies132012-06-28 15:08

    not yet

  2. #2xcmark2012-06-28 17:54

    Do a search , I think you will find CAT will not own up to saying they have a problem but this is about the 4th post on bad motors in the mid size cat skidsteers I have seen in the last year. Hope Cat puts a new long block in it for you , a simple oil pressure switch and timeing relay to shut off the fuel would make all equipment last a lot longer.

  3. #3John DiMartino2014-02-10 22:59

    It's a pretty big problem,this is an older thread,but recently there's a few more on here that have had engine failure as a result of the oil pump ..

  4. #4Nige2014-02-11 06:45

    I was looking into service information and so far have found nothing relating to the engine oil pump. I'm still digging though.

  5. #5Dirtjockeys2015-04-09 04:33

    I have a Cat 906 with a 3034 engine that lost engine oil pressure. fortunately I was in the machine when it happened and I was here at my shop. I stopped the engine immediately. I replaced the pressure relief valve at $240 but that did not work. I am removing the pump next. I also noticed that the part number on the Cat parts site is listed as "replacement number, contact dealer."

  6. #6Mobiltech2015-04-09 08:39

    what is the serial number?

  7. #7Dirtjockeys2015-04-09 09:36

    6zs01551

  8. #8Mobiltech2015-04-09 21:07

    I am getting a 1730141 pump number for $560 Canadian. It changes up a couple of times before it gets to that number so double check with your parts guys.

  9. #9Dirtjockeys2015-04-12 05:50

    I removed the front engine case to find the cast case of the oil pump had broken off completely. The front engine case is fine, and there were no metal fragments to cause any further damage. I will call Cat on Monday, they show three different oil pump part numbers, but only the 1730141 number comes up as available. I would not recommend trying to remove the front engine case without the shop manual, you must remove the governor linkage at the injector pump, and you need to know where it is and how to get to it.

  10. #10Mobiltech2015-04-12 10:23

    When I ran the numbers for that pump through npr it changed up a few times. I hope they improved the design of the new one so it doesn't break like that. I wonder if it had a pressure spike .

  11. #11Steve Frazier2015-04-12 12:29

    I had the exact same thing happen to my 248. I posted pics in this thread:

  12. #12Dirtjockeys2015-04-18 13:07

    New pump (1730141) in, and engine put back together. Cranked the starter to evacuate the fuel lines and had oil pressure before the first start. Oil is new, I will change it a few more times in the next 10 engine hours. I am working on a circuit to shut the engine down if the oil pressure gets too low (I am somewhat of an electronics nerd.) This problem and the related posts have me worried it may happen again when the machine is alone and idling. The body of the new pump measured about .060 over the old one, hope this fixes the problem. The photo shows the new pump and the new relief valve. I have put 150 hours on this machine since the first of the year, I am so thankful that this did not happen in February! All in with the sending unit, shop manual, relief valve, and pump, just under a grand, I think myself lucky it wasn't $7,300 for a reman, provided the block and crank were still salvageable.

  13. #13Billstainton2015-06-12 03:33

    I have a cat 226 3034 engine and same thing the case has broken. Looking for a replacement motor.