Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Buy Case W20c for snow removal?

carwhisperer · 2019-02-19 09:02

I found a 1986 CaseW20c wheel loader for $8500. Tires look pretty new. I drove it yesterday. It runs really good with 60psi oil pressure at idle before fully warm. Engine is said to have been rebuilt 2 years ago with no documentation. It runs and the bucket works. I scooped some dirt/mud with it. I think there’s some play in the steering. The owner said it’s normal. The main fuel tank is clogged so it was running off a 5 gallon jerry can on the fender. I have a little 12hp Kubota diesel 4x4 that I’m using unsuccessfully for snow removal (Sierra cement). I thought this would be a big sledge hammer to get the job done. I’m afraid of the fact that it’s not emissions compliant here in California and how would I sell it when I’m done.

Replies10
  1. #1Delmer2019-02-19 17:56

    Well that's a bit of a jump in size. Do you have enough experience to be comfortable judging the condition of equipment that size? Selling it outside of CA shouldn't be any problem.

  2. #2carwhisperer2019-02-19 19:12

    No not really. I'm pretty familiar with mechanical things, but this thing is just on a whole new scale. I think about how I would R&R the engine, trans or even just a wheel. It's got lot's of mud mixed with fluid around th hydraulics but it seems clean for the age. I guess I was hoping for some general feedback and maybe something like, "That's a good price. You wouldn't lose too much at that price, unless you have a major mechanical failure" or, "That thing is way too old and big and is worth less than scrap value"

  3. #3Jonas3022019-02-19 21:24

    I think the price seems decent if it runs and moves you will be able to plow a lot of snow with it although I have know idea on cali thats about the price I would see one on auction around here Not that bad running off a can if its enough fuel for a day at least it will be fresh

  4. #4Vetech632019-02-20 07:32

    That's because those old machines were famous for the fuel tanks rusting on the inside. They would constantly plug up fuel filters and the suction line.

  5. #5fast_st2019-02-20 08:27

    It seems to be a reasonable price but you might want to find a local service truck to give it a presales inspection, there's a checklist with a hundred items on it, sometimes another set of eyes is helpful. It might avoid a disaster down the road or it might show that its a really good purchase. Costs vary but you can call around to find a service tech that'll do it for you, likely out of a local dealer.

  6. #6Mobiltech2019-02-20 11:33

    Wheel loaders work ok in cold dry snow but aren’t very good in warm sticky conditions. They like to spin and make ice. Once they do that you can get stuck easily. The other problem with large wheel loaders is that the bucket won’t dump over Center so you can’t use the bucket to push yourself backwards.

  7. #7carwhisperer2019-02-20 11:39

    OK that’s good information to have. Our snow is generally relatively warm and then turns to ice at night. I’d probably need to get chains for it. The DOT tractors around here all have them. Getting it stuck seems like a nightmare.

  8. #8fast_st2019-02-20 11:50

    I have been doing a lot with a 644E, no chains but its all pretty flat, if you're careful you can still get a good pile without getting stuck, rarely do I need to tag the front diff lock. No chains yet but thought about it.

  9. #9TVA2019-02-20 12:05

    I just did work on W26B, in local junk yard, owner bought it for scrap money because all the bushings on bucket and links are gone, and even bosses is elongated almost as another diameter of the pins - so that repair will cost another “scrap money” amount! Came with set of super long forks beside bucket and type 30 parking break powered quick change. That one still used it’s tank but aftermarket electric lift pump and fuel line through the fill lid. Engine starts and runs beautifully though! The air over hydraulic breaks and cable actuated steering cracked me up!!!

  10. #10cuttin edge2019-02-20 20:25

    Open cab doesn't look fun for plowing. Would be cold here in a noreaster