Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

BUYER BEWARE of aftermarket parts

dlkuzara ยท 2016-11-09 17:27

I purchased a Case 1845C that turned out to have a trashed idler sprocket assembly in the chain case. I bought the following item on eBay D76529 Chain Drive Sprocket, D124607 Cluster Sprocket Pin, and two D64175 Sprocket Bearings. Every one of these parts had an issue or was unfit for the application. Worse, everyone selling these aftermarket parts are getting them from the same Chinese source. The D76529 did not have the flame hardened teeth, even though the image clearly shows the case hardening discoloration in the stock picture. The D124607 pin, which is the inner race for the sprocket bearings, is supposed to be case hardened to Rockwell C 58 minimum and have a surface finish of at least 8 microinches, per the bearing manufacturer below. What I received was an unground, lathe turned part that probably was 200 or 300 microinches and no evidence of being hardened. The D64175 was open cage with no seal, although the manual clearly calls out for a seal one side. The bearing without a seal was labeled SCE-2421 while the part number with a seal is JT-2421 made by Torrington, Timken and Koyo. The unfortunate part here is that these aftermarket vendors are all selling the same (in my opinion) defective new parts, lots of them, to people who have no idea that these parts are not factory equivalents and for these parts will have a very short life.

Replies8
  1. #1Jeepwalker2016-11-09 17:46

    Thanks for the FYI. Do you still have the parts? Any interest in taking them to a machine shop to have them tested to see what the hardness really comes in at?

  2. #2dlkuzara2016-11-09 18:11

    I have not returned the parts yet. I do have the curiosity but not the time to find out how bad the shaft really is. The bearings are fine, just wrong. Not having a seal would not only let the grease leak out, but let contaminants in, and that chain case is nasty, considering what I cleaned out of it. The 5 quarts of 30w oil splashing around in the chain case would eventually dissolve the grease. If it were greased very regularly, it might survive OK. The sprocket would wear prematurely, but the pin is a disaster waiting to happen. I suppose these parts would make it through whatever warranty period there is.

  3. #3alrman2016-11-09 18:15

    Every time I have replaced a broken drive chain of late, Case XT & 400 series skid steers, they have needed new sprockets, due to the broken chains being jammed up into the the teeth of unhardened drive sprockets. That just seems to be how they are making them - even the genuine ($300AU) CNH parts are soft. Things just aren't what they used to be....

  4. #4excavator2016-11-09 20:39

    I buy ALOT of things on E-BAY but buying machine parts such as this is not something I would think of doing,especially when they are coming from China. Basically the old rule still applies, "You get what you paid for." And just because these are bad does not mean all aftermarket parts are bad.

  5. #5check2016-11-09 21:34

    I've found that a lot of aftermarket parts that have unacceptable return rates end up being liquidated on ebay. You save a little money most of the time but the hassles aren't worth it.

  6. #6thrashingcows2016-11-12 17:16

    I'm new to the site, and just bought an older Case 1845C, so I may need some replacement parts sooner or later. Thank you dlkuzara for the update and information.:thumbsup

  7. #7Joel592016-11-14 12:09

    I just installed these same parts in my 1845c yesterday. My pin was not drilled all the way for grease to get to the bearings. I had to drill it out myself. I hope to get good service from these parts, but who knows? Joel

  8. #8thrashingcows2016-11-14 16:05

    Wow...not drilled through for greasing! I had a new input shaft for a NV4500 that had casting flash almost completely blocking the oiling passage.....had to breakout the die grinder to clean it up. That's the thing with some of these off shore parts, if you don't inspect these parts and just toss them in you could end up with a whole heap more troubles. I also had a set of cheap off shore drilled and slotted rotors for a vehicle and they did not clean out any of the machining debris. I only noticed this after I pulled the front wheels to find out what all that noise and glitter was about.....debris had gotten between the pads and rotor surface.