We purchased a new to us 2013 272D Cat Skid steer this past summer & now that the colder weather is coming I am not aware of how the glow plugs work on this machine. Does anyone know if they come on automatically when the ambient temp drops to a certain level? When I started it yesterday, it had some difficulties to get going initially. I kept my eye on the display screen & didn't see anything that resembled any type of glow plug operation.
According to the spec sheet when you type in 272d it says the engine is electronically controlled w/ a glow plug warning indicator. SOOO,, I would imagine the computer takes care of the whole shootin' match when needed.??
Does that model not have an air intake heater rather than glow plugs..? a Serial Number would help narrow it down.
I am not sure which type of heating is utilized on it. It may be air intake. I will have a look & see. Ser # is CAT0272DAB5W00306
It is an air intake heater. See below.... #2. According to the manual ..... "With the engine start switch in the ON position, this alert indicator (the "glow plug" light) will light when the aid is activated."
I have not seen anything on the display screen show up that indicates that the "heat aid" is active when starting. I did send a text to our Cat service tech & he is planning to stop around on Monday with his laptop. He said he can also change the duration of time it stays on. Thanks for the information.
I call them grid heaters.. a 1-2 wire hook up [on cummins].. grounds thru the block.. Check for a blown fuse and you wont need the service guy.. I've also seen the long hold down bolt loose and only making intermittent contact.. just sumpin else to check.. while your there.
Some need to be pretty cold to trip off, depends on the manufacturer. Kubota wouldn't turn on the heater above 35 degrees.
As I recall those things only come on when the ambient temp gets below about 45 degrees. I heard plenty of complaints about the C model machine engines had a hard time starting without them. Most of the owners I deal with would rather have the manual switches instead of the electronics.
Hi Metalman The heating aid indicator will only come on at a coolant temperature of '0' degrees C or lower, however the heating aid relay will continue to supply power to the heating aid for a number of seconds after the indicator goes out
after preheat Mark
MM55 did you see the small "note" in the diagram from Mark.. The indicator lamp WILL NOT lite if heating for less than 8 seconds.. Good find Mark..
Ok guys......thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Will let you know how we make out.
Once the cold weather hit here it seems to start fine now, so as mentioned by others, they may only come on when it is near or at 0c. The operator told me that the glow plug symbol does not show up on the screen though, so don't know what that is about.