Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Buyer’s Remorse

DMiller · 2020-11-22 15:21

Old fella bought the Fat Allis called is having issues. Been working just fine then couple weeks ago started getting cold and had left machine at a Buddies property. Went out to load it back up, will not move. Asked if had ideas where can only suspect trans pump is sucking air, either the screen in Trans sump loaded up and the line is weak or the secondary sump feed to the trans pump is cracked or loose. He had no idea what I was speaking of. Suggested find a roving mechanic to come work on it and find the suction issue. End of call.

Replies33
  1. #1skyking12020-11-22 16:47

    Nice of you to give the help you did. Left the machine at buddies property implies Buddy was running machine. Maybe Buddy should be helping out!

  2. #2DMiller2020-11-22 18:18

    Called him back, asked with known leakage how much oil has added. Used 1/2 to 1 gal a day in hard use but not enough to warrant replacing ALL the trans fitting that weeped against new hoses. He stated has NOT added oil in nearly two months owned. Told him to add 5-10 gal 10w Hytrans, try it then add until level is on Hand Made HIGH mark(Stick is a replacement). He is going to try that tomorrow. Best estimate is the old guy cooks the machine in six months or less.

  3. #3skyking12020-11-22 18:35

    I called you because I ran it out of oil. Wow.

  4. #4ippielb2020-11-22 21:26

    Another side note, i have a power pack on a hydraulic deck for my truck. I use transmission fluid as the hydraulic fluid because it only gets used in cold weather. I had condensation build up in the tank and there was ice crystals, it plugged the intake screen. Warming it up fixed the issue until i could get it out to drain the fluid and fill with fresh.

  5. #5Tugger22020-11-22 22:17

    Id say there is no such thing as buyers remorse with old iron. We are all big boys with a gleam in our eyes when we see something old. The price and the fact that we can fix it up are the selling factors. Good you can give him advice though as long as it dosent become a PITA.

  6. #6Tags2020-11-22 22:49

    At least you were nice enough to even pick the phone up as a private seller, I know dealers that wouldn't answer a call after a used machine left their yard....at least you can help without getting skinned knuckles or covered in grease

  7. #7DMiller2020-11-23 15:35

    He called back today, fifteen gallons to put back on Full Mark. Working fine again, is considering working on leak points as gets it home. Another TADA Moment for him, went to retrieve something from his trailer toolbox, Low and Behold still in the oversize Ziplock Bag was ALL the manuals and special notes I had given him. He was embarrassed.

  8. #8skyking12020-11-23 16:05

    LOL!

  9. #9Vetech632020-11-23 17:42

    You need a beer.

  10. #10DMiller2020-11-23 17:52

    Looks VERY tasty maybe Frothy Too.

  11. #11Tags2020-11-23 19:24

    Does the server hang around while Dmiller drinks the beer??

  12. #12DMiller2020-11-24 13:35

    Tongue got hard again, No BEER For Me!!!

  13. #13HATCHEQUIP2020-11-24 14:15

    OR TWO

  14. #14Vetech632020-11-24 15:50

    Depends on how thick your wallet is.

  15. #15Michael Kast2020-11-26 20:37

    You got me all curious about exactly what type machine it is that this guy is destroying. I googled "Fat Allis" not having a clue what would come up. About a hundred different machines of all shapes and sizes came up. Some from many years gone by. Google knows ****.

  16. #16DMiller2020-11-26 20:44

    Look up my posts Look for Fat Allis there Was a HD7G I resurrected but steady beat back at me.

  17. #17skyking12020-11-26 20:45

    Not sure but i think it is a Fiat Allis dozer. LOL beat me to it.

  18. #18DMiller2020-11-26 20:52

    Loader PITA And not mine anymore

  19. #19skyking12020-11-26 21:05

    yeah in the Crawler loader section. My first was a JD350B I think. We sold it 40 years ago.

  20. #20Michael Kast2020-11-26 21:18

    It looks like the manuals are worth more than the machines. People dont seem to love these things like old porsches. It is tragic.

  21. #21DMiller2020-11-26 21:23

    HeavyEquipmentForums This will give a start as to where I was on this machine

  22. #22Michael Kast2020-11-26 23:33

    You loved it like an old porsche and it broke your heart. It is tragic. The thing about old porsches, Every part for those old cars are still being produced in stuttgart where they were born. It makes it easier to fuel the absurd obsession. Yan get online and buy a brand new anything. For some reason I had a fantasy that an old Takeuchi would be as easy.

  23. #23Michael Kast2020-11-26 23:35

    Thank you for you service Mr Miller

  24. #24old-iron-habit2020-11-28 22:23

    Tongue got hard again, Hell to get old isn't it.

  25. #25DMiller2020-11-29 06:48

    Yes it is!!

  26. #26Willie B2020-11-29 09:00

    I traded a 1990 Chevy van for a 1996. It had 95000 miles in September 1995. Years later I get a call from next owner. He's angry his transmission failed. Wanted to know if I had any trouble with it, had I serviced it regularly? I countered with "How many miles on it now? How did you find me?" He said 190,000. My phone number wasn't faded where the dealer peeled off the lettering. A 10 year old truck with 190000, transmission last serviced at 75000, he feels somebody has cheated him!

  27. #27DMiller2020-11-29 09:04

    Will always be those around.

  28. #28DMiller2020-12-06 17:14

    Well has gotten worse, he has not looked as to leaks, ran it another week and got low on oil again. Now left track not wanting to steer and has been calling me to diagnose it some 300 miles away. Believe at this point I am not going to return the calls. He needs to find a Mechanic THERE and I left that message.

  29. #29Tim Burke2020-12-06 17:19

    I'm impressed you got machinery responses.

  30. #30Willie B2020-12-06 19:00

    My son Seth took possession of his first real estate. He got all impulsive, he needed a loader. The property (a transaction with his in laws) already had a Ford 2N with loader & an Allis Chalmers D14 tractor. He bought a 1969? IH industrial tractor. It was tired!!! He later admitted it was a mistake bringing it home. As I recall it was advertised at $1400. He got there (100 miles one way) took one look at it, had a pleasant conversation with the seller. He eventually paid $800. He got robbed! Once it was home, he gave it a good hot water pressure wash. It was clean, but awful! A few hydraulic cylinder repacks, a few new hoses, a tire, a battery, it was sort of functional. He advertised it at a break even price. Several people came to try it, whining it wasn't perfect. He was honest in his discussions with these people, didn't conceal any issues, still they came to buy a $6000 tractor for $1600. Previously informed of its issues, picking it apart, wanting it cheaper. Next came a fellow, made it clear he intended to improve a property, then sell it. He believed it was functional. He had no skills, no capacity to diagnose, or repair. He just didn't get it. Seth took the right course, talked the guy out of buying. Eventually, an old lady called. She was talking on behalf of her husband, who was profoundly deaf. Communication was not easy, but they came to look it over. Nobody ever accused me of mumbling, and talking to a person with hearing impairment, I can be heard! The buyer was intelligent, gave it a thorough inspection, asked 50 relevant questions. He intended to make a project of it. Somehow, we as a people are confused, we believe everything we buy is new with warranty. Despite an honest seller explaining it isn't new, buyers expect new. If it proves to have issues, they have been cheated.

  31. #31Willie B2020-12-06 19:17

    Posted wrong thread.

  32. #32Tags2020-12-06 20:43

    As far as I’m concerned, at this point he’s just trying to take advantage of your kindness and I personally believe you answered him perfectly. The fact that you even returned his call the first time is over AND above once a piece of used iron has left your sights. You got him squared away once and now it’s time for him to put on his used equipment big boy pants and start wrenching or start paying, he needed to have it and now he needs to fix it himself....doesn’t he realize you’re getting ready for your own major truck project???

  33. #33DMiller2020-12-16 06:52

    He actually called me and left a message, 'Its getting cold up here, did you say had 50/50 antifreeze?' Can buy a checker at auto zone for $5 so why call me? but yes it was 50/50 mix as I will not run less. Did not, WILL not call him back.