Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trying to identify my machine

rotorboy · 2020-11-21 12:00

I'm new to the forum but this looks like a great place to find information and get tips and tricks. I bought a Cat tracked loader about 8 years ago. I never confirmed which model it is, as the data plate is badly worn and there are no decals. From everything I've researched online, I'm thinking it's a 941 or 951 built in 1968 in Japan... but I'm not anywhere certain. I could use some assistance in identifying it as I'm going to need to get some work done on it. Thank you in advance!

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2020-11-21 12:07

    the info is right there on the Serial Number plate. 32F S/N prefix is a 951B.

  2. #2rotorboy2020-11-21 12:08

    Wow... that was quick! Thank you Nige! I couldn't be sure if that was a 'P' or an 'F', given the wear on the plate.

  3. #3Nige2020-11-21 12:22

    The 32F prefix also went over into the 951C model designation, so identifying the stamped digts after the 32F would be needed in order to determine if your machine is a actually B or a C. Some photos of the engiine might also help those who are knowledgeable to identify if the engine is a D330 or a 3304, although because there is no separate engine S/N indicated on the machine plate a D330 is more likely.

  4. #4rotorboy2020-11-21 12:40

    I'll have to look for some identifying marks on the engine. I'm starting to think it is indeed a 'C' model. It looks like '32F1050' (but I could be reading that wrong). From what I'm seeing on the interwebs, serial numbers from 1036 to 1241 were 'C' models made in 1973.

  5. #5Nige2020-11-21 13:27

    If the engine is a D330 then it will be stamped with the same S/No as the machine. If it is a 3304 it will likely carry a plate with a 43V S/No prefix if the engine is original.

  6. #6DB22020-11-21 13:37

    If the engine water pump is gear driven it’s likely a 3304. Where is TCT ? He is fond of these.

  7. #7Bluox2020-11-21 14:49

    Both 951B & C 32F had a 3304. Bob

  8. #8361brock2020-12-09 19:32

    The hydraulic sight gauge, the return to dig valve, muffler recessed into hood, and bucket with reinforced shield, rops factory welded mounts all point to 951C in my book.