Recently bought a Buyers Products 10ton cast pintle mount & 10ton w/ 2” ball lunette. I do a good bit of towing using my F250 and a 14k GVW trailer moving small pieces of heavy equipment. I can gross out around 24k-25k depending on fuel in my transfer tank and tools. My father saw the new hitch and told me I need to send it back, it’s cast (he saw box said cast), and it’s no good, doesn’t want to see it in my truck. I can’t find any good literature regarding hitches and what’s better but I do believe it’s a solid hitch. Yes it’s cast STEEL and I believe the mount being a one piece nearly identical to an eye beam would be stronger than a traditional welded hitch. Yes, cast materials can have different chemical compounds that can be brittle, I just don’t believe that a 10 ton American made cast steel hitch is worse than a traditional welded mount with multiple points in which stress can break the welds over time. (Especially in the lawsuit happy age of nearly every American and American companies). In everything I’m researching I can hardly find a hitch that isn’t cast, even those popular B&W adjustables are cast steel. Just curious on your guys thoughts and opinions regarding cast pintle hitches and durability over time. Obviously safety is my number 1 concern in anything to do with towing, I do believe this was a safe buy for myself and the motoring public around me while I tow. PSA this is a family business I work in and use the hitch for so my father ultimately does take on the majority of liability if something were to happen which I understand his concerns, I just believe he’s wrong about this. Lmk what you think.
Well….you’d be hard pressed to find one made any other way. Buyers is a well known brand and makes them way larger than 10 ton. It’s not a piece of cast iron melted down from who knows what. I’d be interested to see if he could come up with one that wasn’t cast. There are plenty of other cast parts on your truck and trailer as well. Cast steel that is, not cast iron or pig metal. Hells bells the eye on your trailer is cast. Swap the ring on the trailer to a 2-5/16” hitch and use a ball on your truck.
Agreed. When buying our trailer we specced a 2 5/16” ball but we couldn’t get the max gross out of the trailer without it being a pintle. It’s a 24’ MH Eby deckover
Premier, made in the great PNW. * Trailer Jacks, Heavy Duty Hinges, Pintle Hitch & More | Premier-MFG Premier Manufacturing has been in business since 1924, designing, manufacturing Couplings/Pintle Hitches, Drawbar Eyes and more. www.premier-mfg.com
I second that. Definitely upgrade to the Premier 2300.
^^^^^^ Great hitch BUT still cast!
Not necessarily the fact it's cast--it's who cast it. A wrench says Drop Forged in India--the old joke {dropped off a cliff in india}. Premier/Maf has been around 102 years, mainly feeding Freightliner/PacCar/Clough/Beall/Truck Dealers. Buyers Products has been around 80 years farming out hitch production. trivia.
Never had any problems with Buyers towing gear!
Yeah I got some Buyers boxes on the tow truck, there ok, definitely not Pro-Tech quality. Leak real bad. Their hitches probably fine but not premier.
It should be fine for what you can tow on a 14gvw trailer which should not be total of more than 5 tons of equipment with ties downs etc. Just make sure it's attached to the right size hitch system and likely not the stock bumper.
Same here. Probably have 8-10 Buyers pintle hitches on receiver tubes between the trucks and what's in the shop. Been using them on pickups and tag trailers for 30 years without a problem. It says on their website all manufacturing is done in the US FWIW. Now for larger single axle and tandem's there are much better options.
These are Forged, in O-HI-O Wallace Forge Company - Pintle Hooks wallaceforge.com
Make no mistake about it. I’d be proud to tow with a hitch from O-Hi-O. Reminds me of that David Allan Coe tune, I’m an Ohio Boy.
Oh no, my dad doesn't like a cast hitch. Did he ever look at what the receiver is attached to? I've had to change receivers or straighten frame rails and bumper bracing inserts, but, never have I had to replace a Buyer's combo pintle hitch. Mind you we only had 25 or so in-service at any one time.
I, I, I just can't do the Buyers thing, reminds me of something Walmartish. That's a old joke what's small on both ends and big in the middle-ohio.