Hey guys, looking at picking up a new KX080-4 here in the next few days. Having a hard time decideing if I should order it with the Kubota quick attach couple and buckets, or go with aftermarket... Most likely going to need a 12" and a 36" bucket for it. Second thing I am having a hard time deciding on is angle dozer blade or not. I like the thought of an angle blade, but I dont do much trenching, and after looking at both versions in person, the angle blade looks like it will just simple be in the way a lot. It sticks out substantially past where the straight blade sits, and looks like it was more of an after thought by kubota them a seamless integration. At a cost of about $5000.00, I dont want to make the wrong decision here. Thirdly, anyone have any thoughts in general on this machine? It seems to be one of the most highly regarded midi's on the market, and it specs out incredible. It looks like I can walk out the door right around the $90,000 mark with QA, straight blade, 2 buckets, and hyd. thumb. Thanks guys.
I would also like to know what bucket size most of you recommend for this machine for general purpose digging. My dealer is suggesting a 36" bucket but I feel like that is a bit large for this machine. Leaning more toward 30"...
I run a 24" on my KX057 and have a 36" for it (with the quick attach and thumb). Not all buckets are the same capacity wise, a Kubota 36" bucket is fine for the 080-4 just like the one for the 57 is fine for it. The width of the blade plus the angling of the blade means it has to stick farther out to clear the tracks when angled. I bought my 057 because it was as big as could fit dimensionally in my dump trailer and still spin the house around. I'd like to have an 080, but now that the 57 is paid for with 840 hours on it, I think I'd rather skip that size and go to the 15-20t class. I can't see having a 5.5 and 8 ton machine for my current (small) operation. If I was replacing my 057, I would look hard at the 080.
Had a JD 60G with the angle blade, thought I would use it a lot. Found I rarely used it and I was disappointed in its ability to back fill a trench. When it’s swung you are running over the spoils you are trying to push into the trench as the blade is not clear past the edge of the tracks when angled. Found it quicker just to leave the blade straight and come at the ditch from an angle. The extra weight does allow you to travel with more weight when you swing the load around to the opposite side from the blade though! the angle blade option on Mine added a little over a 1000 lbs to the weight of the machine, this was handy when moving eco blocks - the Two foot x six footers. That will be a real nice machine!
On the 36in bucket- no problem it will be fine. I have a heavy duty Esco on my old Komatsu pc75uu-2 that’s .55 cubic yard capacity, handles it real well, but a good heaping load all the way out and yo can feel your at the limit of stability.
Great. Thanks for the tips guys! After my continued research, I plan to order it at the dealer in the morning with the angle blade(mainly because straight blade is 4 mo out from mfg), a 18" bucket, 36" bucket, hydraulic thumb, and rubber tracks. Should come in right around 96k with everything I added. Those buckets aren't cheap!
Here she is boys. Popped her cherry today digging a few holes, knocking over trees, and digging stumps. Running it in Eco mode until run-in is complete @ 50 hrs. Very impressed with the machine so far. Glad I went with the angle blade, and the 36" bucket is perfect. Even in hard clay it powers right through.
Lookin sharp!
That’s a very nice Machine! And I think you got a very good deal on it! I haul my Komatsu on the exact same model big tex trailer!