Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

320 B cat excavator bogging

jook24 ยท 2018-05-01 16:25

trying to figure out why it bogs when working it.Checked volt at PVR unplugged the wire have 53 volts with switch in manual And 48 when in auto with key in on position book says should have 24 volt.Also checked the wire for ground it has continuity book says should be 0. Green light is on on the controller any ideas on this have code 4103 which says proportional is ground circuit is open.

Replies11
  1. #1r20d122018-05-08 21:07

    If Im understanding you correctly. The engine bogs when you bottom out a cylinder? The pump has three ways it is controlled. Two are hydraulic (negative flow and cross sensing) and one is controlled by the ecm. The ecm monitors engine rpm and uses what is called "powershift pressure" to destroke the pump when the engine rpm drops to a certain level. It actually has a computer controlled pressure reducing valive that uses pilot pressure to destroke the pump. When the powershift pressure circuit is broke the engine bogs because the negative flow pressure will cause the pump to over stroke. The powershift pressure keeps that in check. You should never have more than 24 volts on a 24v system. I don't think its even possible because the ecm can't send that much out. Make sure your not reading millivolts on your meter. The switch in the cab behind the armrest will either let the computer control powershift pressure or when in the "limp" position it sets it at a constant preset pressure. That's why it bogs in that position. Cuz it can't destroke the pump. Those B model ecm suck but if you have an active code then you have either a broken power or ground wire or a failed prv. Are you good with a volt meter? I can tell you how to fix this. Its a very common issue

  2. #2r20d122018-05-08 21:20

    Its possible the ecm failed but not likely. Make sure your wires are good from the prv to the ecm. There is a resistance measurmentbfor the prv solenoid but Im not sure what it is. Your dealer will tell you. Most of the time its a broken wire. I've had one of those ecms bad in 28 years of doing this.

  3. #3jook242018-05-09 08:19

    l checked everything on that excavator cat was out did pump test all ok so i put new ecm yesterday seems good now but cant calibrate the throttle get code 2302 cat did turn up the throttle to give me more rpm would that throw that code i think they gave me about 200 rpm.

  4. #4r20d122018-05-09 10:02

    It has to be calibrated through the monitor. Turning it up with the high idle screw is fine as long as its within specs. The new ecm is clueless unless you have done that throttle dial calibration procedure. The Cat tech probably didn't know. Its been years since I did anything to the throttle motor on a "B" but I do know the procedure is not hard. They may just email you the instructions since they failed to do it. If I remember right... At times during the procedure it will ask if the throttle lever is touching the low idle screw and you push a button for yes no. Then it asks the same thing for the high idle side. You may have to adjust the high or low idle screw or the linkage but like I said. Its not hard. Just follow the steps.

  5. #5jook242018-05-09 20:13

    Yes thats what i did through the monitor but it stopped at P SP stage.Hard to get info out of local dealer.But sure appreciate your info.i Should have time on Monday to look at it don't think it would hurt to run it like this if i have to till i get caught up on my work.

  6. #6r20d122018-05-09 21:43

    Should be fine to run it like that. Something you might try... Since it asks you to verify if its hitting the high and low idle stops. You might verify that before calibrating it again. Maybe since the parts changer turned it up, the throttle motor is traveling out of range? Not sure but its worth a shot. Im glad I could help. Track hoe's are my favorite its just hard to remember specs sometimes.

  7. #7r20d122018-05-09 22:50

    Something I just thought of. I used to work for warren cat in Oklahoma. Call the Tulsa store and ask for mike rhodes. He will help you.

  8. #8heymccall2018-05-10 00:32

    I don't remember it saying to verify lever contact. It will tell you if rpm too high, too low, or cable length wrong.

  9. #9heymccall2018-05-10 00:32

    Shouldn't stop at 70 sp.

  10. #10r20d122018-05-10 12:39

    Well that step may have been done on a C model but I thought it was the B. What I remember is once the dial is moved to 10 it asks to confirm that the governor linkage is touching the high idle stop. Like I said. Remembering specs is hard. I've worked on heavy equipment since 1990

  11. #11heymccall2018-05-10 14:56

    At the "P SP" stage, after connecting the cable, you have to press "alarm cancel" button. In the first of 5 pages I attached. Otherwise, it'll sit on "P SP" all day.