I have a ranch in Missouri and with the help of some of you folks steered me to a track loader. I need to dig out ponds, clear trees, dig creek rock to rebuild roads, and fix some rough fields. Its 2600 acres and we intend to keep it for the long term. I want something big enough so I don't regret not stepping up later. I have two I am looking at, first is a 1997 CAT 963b 8500 hrs new engine now 150hrs on new has AC but undercarriage and tracks (maybe more) look to be under 50% priced in the low $40'S. The second one is 1999 936 b 9300 hours has a 85% undercarriage and tracks a very noticeable difference in the heights of the tracks. It has "HYDRAULIC QUICK COUPLER GP BKT AND FORKS!" the engine is currently being rebuilt at the top with NO AC and priced at the upper $40's. . From what I read when the tracks are full and not worn down the machine runs more efficiently as it bites better and less slippage and or power. so my question is. 1, No 2 Seems like the smarter choice as engine has new top end and 85% undercarriage and I can add AC for about $3500. 2, How about the forks they must be 6' long and super thick. so I was wondering if there are other attachments available and does this really work exchanging buckets and forks without compromising the integrity of the machine just to have options. Thanks for anyons time.
Mike Sounds like your looking for a machine that can do several jobs. As far as the 963 goes they are a fairly versatile tractor and if you plan on keeping it you will definitely want a QC! I have worked on these machine's and they are really easy to work on compared to a regular dozer (CAT). They are small enough to still be price per production on a small ranch as a big dozer can brake a person fairly quickly. The QC caterpillar installs on there machines are very strong and you will never have to worry about it accept for the normal wear items of course. The QC is a very nice thing to have, it make your machine a loader, dozer, fork lift street sweeper, hammer ect. and you do not have to invest in all the attachments as your rental store usually will handle them. I have seen a man on one of these in a grove of trees and rocks that needed to be cleared (360) acres approx and this thing with a clam shell bucket made quick work of it when every other machine we threw at it struggled. So QC is a must. As for the undercarriage, there is a lot more to seeing wear than just the grousers, you have the pins(you can feel them under the pad) then the link it self, it gets worn on the bottom that rides on the rollers, and the length, the pin bushings get worn and it stretches. I personally wouldn't buy any tracked machine without having it measured (unscrupulous people will throw decent pads on a worn out chain and hope no one notices)! it gives you a base to go on, as you can usually have the grouser built up to new height several times in the life of the pad. So the less wear on the tracks the better. Any Cat dealer will be more than happy to do it for you, and while there at it have them run the ser# threw there system and trace any recalls, warranty, updates that have or haven't been done to the machine, Cat has a web sight just for that purpose. CHEAP insurance! As for the A/C, you can have an after market top cab one put on fairy reasonable buy and good A/C person. Cat or a good Tech. will give you a list of parts you need or put a kit together for you. GOOD LUCK Bret
Is this telling me anything, look how the track has more slack in track 1 does this seem to show the track is stretched on the one picture?
The quick attach is the way to go. If you are handy with the welding/fabricating you can build the section needed to fit the machine and mount all sorts of stuff. First thing I would look for is a hydraulic angle dozer, maybe a grapple or 4in1 bucket for grabbing logs, 12-16ft jib boom for lifting around the ranch. etc,etc. We have a 988B with quick attach and bucket,forks and a ~14 ft jib with about 10,000lbs capacity at the end. You will however loose a bit of break out and lift due to the increase in length and weight of attachment but the versatility will far out way any disadvantages by far. Cheers Lowbed Driver
does this look like a quick attach they said it was "quick coupler" is there a difference? if so can a QA be attached I love the idea of a boom attachment
Quick attach and quick couple are 2 names for the same thing. The photo is not quick attach/coupler. To change the bucket to something else would require driving out the pins and can only be done 'quickly' with 2 men. Still would take an hour or so. Cheers LB
Could you convert this to a Quick attach? we have several tractors that do various things so we may not need to jus need to know if I can, Thanks!!!
Yes. The quick attach connects to the loaders arms and tilt just like the bucket . No modifications to the machine is required. The attachments need to have a quick attach 'bracket' welded to them and then the machine just attaches itself to what ever it wants. Note: all quick attaches are not the same. Different manufacturers may/will have different styles of couplers and most likely will not be interchangeable. I would contact a manufacturer and ask them how much a quick attach is and also how much the attachment brackets are. The 'blanks' we got were $7000 each. But then again the manufacturer knows we need them and also we get peace of mind knowing the are engineered and this was important for resale(we are a welding shop after all and we were a) to busy to build our own and b) we wanted to be able to sell the loader and attachments and know we did not have u-built attachments.)
Also if you buy a quick attach to put on a loader that does not have one, try and negotiate a couple of 'blanks' or 'brackets' into the deal. Tell them you want 3-4 and they may sell them a lot cheaper working them into a package deal. You will find that the attachment that goes on the loader will be less than 3-4 of the brackets if you buy separately. If you are handy with welding/fabricating you could buy 1 bracket and copy it and make a few more. Also ours has pins that are hydraulically operated from the cab so if you are thinking about getting a machine without a quick attach and buying an attachment you would need a 3rd valve to operate it. Cheers LB
Ok so thanks for all the advise and suggestions, I drove up to Atlanta yesterday, Hired a local mechanic and we met at the track loader around noon. first thing I Did was feel the pins and they were perfectly round, all the filters were marked the date changed plenty of grease oozing out of the pins a good sign of being well maintained. The Fluids were clean engine started right up strong no oil burning the operation of the bucket was smooth no chattering it was clean didn't have any noticeable oil leaks. The mechanic showed up about fifteen minuets later spent about a 1/2 hour going over everything and agreed a solid machine with a 98% undercarriage the owner paid 79k in 07 and put 400 hours on it until the bottom dropped out in 08. He did grading work for home builders mostly so it seems to have a good life. the things not working is one of the blowers on one side of the seat was not working and the AC was not cold. It had been sitting for the last few years and hopefully need a recharge r134a. hopefully the o rings are dried out I have a leak detector so hopefully I can find it and fix it. So I and now the new proud owner of a 963b, price paid 47K, the owner and mechanic suggested when I get it to run it for several hours then drain all fluids and change everything. I am sure I will have many more questions I should take delivery the week of September 2 nd. They also said it was a good machine as it does not have all the electronics the new ones do and will be easy to work on.
That's a good looking loader, I think you did well. I wouldn't worry about a QC for the machine, the cost of adding it will outweigh any benefits unless you just have money to burn. As you said, you have other equipment for lifting and moving things and I doubt you would need the lift capacity of the 963. The one loader with the QC was more than likely a sewer and water support machine. The lifting capacity is needed there carrying pipe and structures around the job site. Just remember track loaders are wonderful machines, jack of all trades but they are heavy. Be cautious in wet areas as they can be a pain to get unstuck without a hoe or large dozer. If the A/C is cool but not cold it probably just needs a shot of r134a since it's been sitting a while. Good luck!