Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Buying a dozer

hillcountrycat ยท 2015-05-18 21:15

My last dozer was a Cat D4H.I sold it about 5 yrs ago and now Iooking for a replacement.I want to go as late model as possible so I'm thinking about D3K or D5G.D4K & D5K are way outside the budget. I would like to know if there is much difference in performance between D3K & D3K2.Are the extra $ worth 4-5 more horsepower? Also,out of curiosity,is there much between D4K & D5G? I rented a D3G last yr.It would handle most of my work but the extra HP & weight of 3K or 5G would allow me to take on extra work.

Replies4
  1. #1FordL80002015-05-19 21:09

    If it does not handle ALL of your work then buy what you actually need. If you only need the big one once a year buy the D3G

  2. #2Turbo_Drive2015-05-19 23:08

    IMO the D4k will do what the D5G will. I've worked both dining the same kinda work and I would go with the K over the G.

  3. #3catfxr2015-05-19 23:23

    There is approx. 5 hp difference between a D4K and a D5G - depending on the serial number and engine arrangement. The HP info and all the machine specs can be found in the performance handbook vol. 43 from CAT.

  4. #4hillcountrycat2015-05-21 00:10

    Thanks for the replies guys.I have read somewhere in this forum that there is a lack of feel in the blade control of k series Cats.It might have been an issue to that one particular machine possibly. Has anyone else noticed this with K models?