Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

buying a machine online JD644

fast_st ยท 2016-02-29 14:52

So I found a used 644e with listed as 29K hours and a rebuilt engine on it. Interior doesn't seem beat up but it has a new splash of paint on it. Pictures don't show welds and the machine is listed as tight and dry. My question is, what's the best option as far as verifying a machine? would it be best to hire a survey company? it will need tires or retreads. we're not going to put a lot of hours on it so good running and high hours should be okay, I'm thinking an e model might be easier to get parts for compared to a C model etc. I'd hate to end up with a POS so I'd figure to ask the experts!

Replies12
  1. #1lantraxco2016-02-29 16:39

    Depending on where it is, you might be able to hire the local Deere dealer to do a survey. I know the outfit I worked for years ago would often hire Deere or CAT to send a field tech out and pull oil samples, check the machine over, operate it some, etc. Usually got a pretty reliable report. Just a thought.

  2. #2fast_st2016-02-29 17:20

    Just gave a nearby deere dealer a call, spoke to the field service person, an operational inspection without checking pressures and such would be about a grand plus mileage, wow, I might be in the wrong business. Maybe I'll check another dealer.

  3. #3lantraxco2016-02-29 17:40

    The times they are a changin.. dang!

  4. #4Mike Van2016-03-01 05:56

    With all the sad stories i've read here about used loaders, I'd want to get into it, push it into a pile of dirt and see what it does. For a grand + milage, you could fly there, right?

  5. #5fast_st2016-03-01 09:46

    Thanks, that is a thought, more like 350 to fly out and back, perhaps the same day, burn a vacation day from work and see what happens. I'm going to call around to some service companies, see what someone who works on this type of equipment thinks.

  6. #6fast_st2016-03-04 17:41

    Well, called another branch of the same dealer and got a much better price even though its another 10 miles further away, Damned near half the price to give it a looking over. Is there any way to take a serial number and get some data back on a machine? DW644ED518361 Thanks again for all the help!

  7. #7mometal772016-03-08 05:35

    New here... Machinery trader has a few for far less. As they say with a new car drive it like you stole it. Put card board under the thing check for leaks. Make sure they did not start it up before getting there. Tons to look into before purchasing. I was going to buy an excavator through ebay but the photo was with palm trees in the back ground and washington state does not have palm trees. Buyer beware and always deal through paypal. Unless going through richie bros and seeing what you are going to buy ebay is not a great place in my opinion. Some specs I use these guys sometimes to find weights. http://www.ritchiespecs.com/specifi...ader&make=John+Deere&model=644E&modelid=91231

  8. #8fast_st2016-03-08 06:40

    Yep. that's where I have been chasing leads, ebay as well and craigslist and every local contact I have, called the dealers I do business with to see if any trades come in, and call me if something pops up that's not worth putting on the lot.

  9. #9fast_st2016-04-12 12:45

    Well, found one in Michigan and its on its way, 644E. Oddly, comparing it to the RB specs, its 8500 pounds heavier than it should be, my question is, would foam filled tires weigh more than a couple hundred pounds extra?

  10. #10still learn'n2016-04-12 16:15

    My experience has been that our machines always weigh heavier than the specs say it could have a quick coupler or different type of bucket or maybe the spec was without a bucket at all don't know but ours always seem to weigh more

  11. #11lantraxco2016-04-12 20:27

    Everything at RB is just a bit light, if you know what I mean? :tong

  12. #12fast_st2016-04-13 06:06

    That's funny right there!! So the seller said they were solid foam filled, but one tire has a hole it seems and its leaking thick brown goo, it looks like rimguard but a lot more sticky and it also seems a bit low on air. . I'm wondering if all that weight is tires filled with rimguard? Also the tired looked bald but they have one or two short 4 inch long grooves about 2 inches deep, I'm thinking they are just smooth tires not bald.