Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Buying a Used Excavator recommendations needed

Auctioneerhere ยท 2010-12-11 09:43

I would like to buy a used machine some thing around the size of a 690 / 790 nothing larger. A 490 would be the smallest size I would consider. I am not going to be earning a living with it. Looking to stay w/ JD or CAT as there are parts for each in MT. Any advice? I would like avoid machines that are to reliant on computers as this machine will sit a fair amount of the time in between projects. I figure it never hurts to ask. I would consider other brands if they have parts readily available someplace.

Replies5
  1. #1John C.2010-12-11 13:10

    Before you buy you need to assess condition. Fluids, engine starting, hydraulic speed, joint condition, undercarriage, circle bearing and on and on. I noticed the local dealer was putting up a video trying to highlight one of their machines. I think you have to copy and paste it into your brower window and then it will down load to you. You might get some pointers from it on what to look for. mms://wm.cdn.mydeo.net/a584/o1/u/m3/736a8fb6f50745af9f43051a05181fae.wmv

  2. #2RobVG2010-12-11 14:39

    Lexan windows? Is that standard?

  3. #3muff2010-12-11 14:58

    Aucitoneerhere, Need more information, such as price range, how reliable do you want it to be, do you mind turning wrenches yourself. Even though I said I needed more information, given the sizes you mentioned, I'd try a deere or hitachi 200LC. They made a lot of them, and by now the late 90's models are fairly reasonable. Pretty sure they have computers though, but they are a good hoe.

  4. #4Auctioneerhere2010-12-11 15:23

    I understand about fluids, turning wrenches, & such. Planning to get one that is not a fixer upper as I have no time for that. I guess I more or less am looking for reliability & something that has a good reputation in the marketplace. I would prefer to keep the price range under $25K. I currently have a D6H, Terex 760B & an OLD CAT 4cyl grader. I think its a 112. I more or less need it for working on our lot & my own property development projects. Thanks.

  5. #5roadrunner812010-12-11 15:56

    If you can find a CLEAN! one a UH07 is a good machine with good parts availability. Very capable machines for the size and in your price range, also no computers.