So I was looking at a bunch of excavator pics and I came across this one... any ideas on they they put the prongs on the back of the bucket? Is it a forestry thing maybe?
They look like skis to me. I bet in the winter the poor kids use the bucket as a toboggan?
Looks like it's for demolition.
wouldn't you want to keep the hyd cylinders and lines away from the demo?
I'd say demo too, can't imagine what you would use it for in a forestry application. I have seen a similar design, but that one had the 'prongs' curved facing down.
rippin stumps?
Looks like maybe a "poor man's thumb"?
It would be good for vertical up removal of material. Stick the prongs under the roof eves and peel the roof away. Stick it under a window frame to pop a window out, push material away from you etc etc.
I'm gonna go with demolition too, especially since that's what the Hitachi in the photo is obviously doing.
She is built heavy in the vertical direction, so my guess is the operator wants get under something and lift, like a concrete slab lets say, without the machine siting on top of the slab.
Exactly what it looks like it would be good for.
demo prob right but I really really like the toboggan theorum!
What about flipping the bucket "backwards" to maximize the breakout force?
things have been going to h--- in a hand basket since the definition of succes is slowing the rate of failure.
Bucket Greg I'm not even sure what all that means in regard to the bucket, but I will give it some serious thought. I see no practical application for the feet for demo. We do commercial and residential demo, and I just don't see a use, and the breakout force isn't nearly as strong when you would be prying downward. Also I wouldn't be wanting slabs of concrete hitting the back of my bucket cylinder. You would have a very long reach having to keep the two bars parallel with the ground, just my opinion.
I think it's jus some garbage from that building that looks like part of the bucket, because it doesnt really look square to the bucket
I may be wrong but if the bucket is reversed it may be used for pulling items out of the ground or some such task...
New Esco safety taboggan.
It's shaped like the claw of a hammer. I'm going to have to say he uses it to pull really big nails.....or maybe just for pulling small trees and fence posts.
I could think of plenty of thing to use it for during demo, but just as often it would be in the way too. That hoe looks strange looks like ther is some kind of "box" attached to the boom behind the lift cylinders.
how would you like to HAVE to run that bucket, digging in water/sewer main...and have to jump a series of cable tv, phone, gas, power lines, etc...all 3' apart? it'd make you want to scratch your nads
I have no idea what it is used for but, it looks like it isn't use for prying concrete or demo because the back of the bucked isn't all dinged up and it still has the paint on it. Same with the V-bracing. It looks straight and not bent. I wonder if its just an attachment point for some other attachment.
http://www.construction-machine.org/tag/excavators/ Maybe used to get under and lift debris off survivors-Dont' know
Could this be a modified attachment for us rookies to aid in making a square and flat bottom trench?
Looks to me like someone just took a stock Hitachi bucket and welded an old excavator thumb on the bottom of it. Thats what I think.
I am with Bill5362, I see no practical use, as far as reversing the bucket, again not practical as the machine is not equiped with a quick attach. How would you like to have to load a highside with those in the way? Not to mention also no thumb on the machine.
could it be so that when they push down on a roof it keeps stuff off of the cylender
its actually a double shank ripper... handy.
I would rather have ripper boxes welded on the back of my bucket so you could rip forward and you could also remove them. Your not going to get much breakout force ripping away from you.
That was my thought also. Looks homemade and less useful than it's worth.
Pulling out wooden utility poles? Pete
Definitely a violent demolition tool.