Hi all, I'm looking at this Michigan 55a loader on Craigslist. Has anyone run or owned one of these? How much do they weigh? Searched high and low on Google and found mixed results. Some sites say 23k and one site said 14.5k it's 4*4 and gas powered no cab ill attach the link. Thanks! https://maine.craigslist.org/hvo/d/anson-michigan-loader-55a/6920532717.html Here's a YouTube video of what looks like the same Machine.
I have one similar mine still has detroit 471 in it.. probably not stock though. with a gas repower you run into lots of issues with the higher rpm's ends up taking out the pump and wearing out the DT. the brakes are vacuum boosted hydraulic that can also have lots of problems. rear steer gets sloppy but is easy to work on unless you have problems right at the hubs. as for weight I can't remember right now but think it is closer to 20k
What is the "DT"? Is yours the same style with the arms going up beside the operator seat? Thanks for the quick reply!
I can haul 15k max with my current setup. I have a neighbor that might lend me a bigger trailer if it weighs more which it sounds like it does.
DT=drivetrain something that size with a gas repower I would think would be very lacking in power unless you were really reving it... That one looks to be a ways smaller than mine, My little guys is a bit under the weather and is waiting on parts for a while...
You could be right. Says it has a fresh motor job on it so at the very least it won't be a tired gas job. Hopefully that's true. Never know with Craigslist. Your machine does look bigger. Maybe your's is a 75? I got the serial and model number off the plate and it's a Clark-Michigan model 55-ag serial# 2bc0123
The two most popular ways it will kill you are cutting your arms off, and rolling something over the back of the bucket and crushing you against the seat, a log or a big bale are popular choices for that. There are plenty of other ways it will kill you too, those are the most popular. I'm not sure that gas engine isn't original? I've used and seen loaders of that vintage that were gas. I'm not a fan of flathead engines, but then I don't like Detroits much either. The detroit was probably the best diesel available at the time. Gas engines were mostly perfected by that time. The 353 wasn't a slow diesel either, so I wouldn't worry about the gas engine rpm. The 23k weight would be a 55C which is an articulated loader with a cab, entirely different animal. I wouldn't be surprised if it was under 15k, but I don't know. The price doesn't sound bad considering what's included, won't get much that runs for less, that's for sure.
The owner says it has a Willis Jeep flat head 6 226 engine. I can't find any information on this machine so I'm not sure if this is original. I plan on putting a forklift cab that I have on if I buy the machine. Got a call into the local dealership to try and track down some specifications on it for weight and what not. Haven't heard back yet. Thanks for the help guys. I'm about 4 hours away from it so can't decide if it's worth the risk or not.
I went to veiw this today. Owner said it was a Michigan. I couldn't find anything to confirm. Google images leed me to believe that it is. Any hints to identify this beauty