Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

buying first dump truck

AM8102011 ยท 2012-07-30 19:13

Hey everyone, I have some questions for those of you who own trucks. I'm looking to buy a truck either before this winter or early next spring depending on when I can fond the right truck. So far this is what I'm looking for: Either a tandem axle or tri, since I'd need atleast 55k gvw Double frame Preferably already setup for plowing/sanding Locking diffs And something ready to go, some repairs or additions to get to what I need are fine as but I'm not looking for a project. I plan on using it for utility work so I be hauling mostly gravel, with small loads of asphault. But I also plan on doing any side jobs I have time for so you never know. My question is what am I not expecting? Kind of broad huh... What will I need for insurance? Ive gotten some quotes as far as commercial truck insurance but will I need more insurance for doing side jobs? Since I'd be self employed I'm confused on how much insurance I need. What fees should I expect to pay? As far as tags, inspections, taxes Thanks for the help, sorry for the book I just wrote.

Replies11
  1. #1Willis Bushogin2012-07-30 19:42

    I would try to find you a Ford L9000 triaxle, Cummins Big Cam 400 at least, or Cat 3406, M11/400hp, I run quad axle dump trucks, now with a L10/300hp, but its mostly flat pulling tranny 8LL, 10 speed or 13 speed I would get a steerable drop axle, even though I see alot of non steerables, up your way. If you get a Tri, you can carry the weight and you dont need to drop it unless you have to Alot of Ford L9000, do not have double frame, they have wide/thicker frames. I never have had a problem with them Most tandems, are locking diff, some axles are double locking General liability, to cover any damage that you may do, I think I have $750,000, its not that expensive, like $400 a year If you work for a company, most of them wants a ghost, workers comp policy, even if you are by yourself, every state is different. runs about $1200 a year Progressive and Allstate has been the cheapest for me I cant help you on tags and taxes, but in NC it cost me to tag and state taxes for a 2000 KW W900 quad, 70,000 lbs $2300.00 I bought two really great Ma DOT trucks, 4 years ago at a Ma state auction, get trucks, one of them had a plow on it 97 Freightliner, automatic, tandem $9900 Good Luck, lots of good info on this site Beware of what you buy and if you dont know what to look for, pay someone to inspect the truck

  2. #2Soodude2012-07-30 20:50

    what about this ? I was searching craigslist last night for a 24' dump trailer and this popped up.... I was funny when I saw this post about wanting a plow LOL http://nmi.craigslist.org/grd/3119942199.html

  3. #3AM81020112012-07-30 20:54

    Thanks for the info, the Ford l9000 are mainly what Ive been looking for. You rarely see steerable drop axles around here. Tri axle is ideal but if I come across the right truck its not a deal breaker. The liability you suggested is what I assumed I figure once I get closer to a purchase ill get more details on what I need from the insurance agent, but I just want some idea before hand so I know what I need. I don't want to get the truck then get blindsided by costs. As far as workman's comp would I go through the regular insurance company for that aswell? Also if I wanted to get someone to look at a truck prior to purchase who would I ask? I know a few diesel mechanics I could ask but would I be better off getting someone that inspects them for purchase regularly? I plan on doing most of the maintenance/repairs myself so I don't have a set mechanic. Thanks again for the help.

  4. #4AM81020112012-07-30 21:01

    Haha yeah that's what I'm looking for. That's cheaper than I plan on spending too, would be worth a look if I was closer. If I don't end up finding the right one before winter ill be digging through a wider range of classifieds to find one by next summer. You don't see belly blades around here either I wonder if its one of Massachusetts many laws.

  5. #5Soodude2012-07-30 21:12

    Belly blades are a dime a dozen around here with county wing front plows.... The county road commissions are constantly selling them

  6. #6Willis Bushogin2012-07-31 09:48

    I cant stress this issue strong enough, dont buy a truck, if you dont know how to check it out. I gave this same info to someone on this forum and he bought the truck without really checking it out and he has spend big bucks on it since. You diffenently need to find someone that knows dumps truck, not a driver, but maybe a driver/owner operator. There are lots of drivers out there that are good wheel holders and there are alot of drivers, that can repair their own trucks and know what to look for. I have 5 very good wheel holders Im not familiar with your area, but Im sure you have a dirt pit and rock quarry, I would just stop by these and chat with the drivers, find out who does the service on their trucks. There should be mechanics, that work on the side, maybe you can grab one of these when you get ready

  7. #74x4dually2012-08-03 07:50

    Great advice right there.

  8. #8Dig_Texas2012-08-03 08:40

    And I'd like to add that even if you have a reasonable knowledge about trucks, if you don't know the right questions to ask it can be painful. I recently bought a truck, very clean, seemed to run good with low ECM miles. Truck had some issues after the purchase and the local shop could not access the ECM due to Cummins password protection. I had to take it to a dealership, buy the password flash from Cummins and found out that the ECM was not even for this truck. I've added this check to my list from now on, to see the ECM report and cross-reference the serial numbers. I know that companies out there can re-program the ECM to make it say what ever they want it to but IMO only the most determined rip-off company will pay for that level of deception.

  9. #94x4dually2012-08-03 08:49

    Wow. That is pretty crappy. I'd rather be completely honest up front and NOT sell a truck than get it sold and then someone think I'm a crook. That is my new motto. I just sold a 1-ton dually yesterday and that is what I told them after I showed them where all the leaks were. LOL

  10. #10AM81020112012-08-03 12:22

    I'm pretty handy with most repairs on the dumps I drive now. But never have been involved in the buying process that's the only reason I ask. Not buying a dump truck if you Don know ho to check it out, by that logic noone should ever learn anything. You have to start somewhere

  11. #11rabia2012-08-13 06:12

    I don't have any experience in this regard. but discussion is interesting. :tong