The reason I am asking is my class A license doesn't cover semi tractors. If I wanted to buy a semi and convert it to a flatbed does it then become a flatbed no longer requiring the semi endorsement? Also, if I were to put a gooseneck hitch on it would it still be classed as a flatbed? Seems like the answers are obvious but also like DOT could find a way to totally confuse everyone on. Thanks,
Your class A doesn't cover running a tractor trailer combo? Are you sure you didn't mean class B or C? Class A is all combination vehicles (tractor-trailer) and allows you to drive all classes under it.... you might want to double check
I would define a semi tractor as a truck with a fifth wheel.
Actually, the question should be what makes a semi-trailer a "semi" trailer. A truck equipped with a fifth wheel to tow semi-trailers might be thought of as a "semi-tractor", but technically, it's just the "tractor" part of a "tractor trailer". A semi-trailer is one where part of the trailer rests on the power unit, as opposed to having all of its weight on axles of its own. Here. Wikipedia goes into more detail than I can: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-trailer I agree with Soodude, your class A covers driving the tractor, even without a trailer, because without a trailer, it's a Class B. And if you convert it by putting a bed on it, it's no longer a "tractor", it's a straight truck... On edit: Tireman said it without beating around the bush as much as I did.
I have a Georgia class A drivers lic that has a restriction of no tractor trailer combinations, it is for my Hotshot DRW truck and 40 foot trailer without air brakes
I rechecked my license, it is a class AM but it has the restriction saying except tractor trailer. Good explanation Digger thanks, the restriction isn't on the tractor but the type of trailer. The M in the AM class is for motorcycles.
In NY you need a Class A to drive a heavy dump with tag along trailer, but you are unable to drive a tractor trailer if you took your test with the dump/tag along combo.
oh so you have one of those class A/57 licenses when someone needs to be able to pull a trailer over 10,001? why can't all the states get together to make one common rule on licensing, LOL
In Washington state a Class A license is required for anything 26,001 pounds or more plus whatever endorsements that might be required. Air brakes is one of the endorsements. Triples can be towed in some places and that requires another endorsement. There are a lot of 26,000 pound GVW service trucks here requiring only a Class B. On another note I thought that the reason to go to the federal class system for drivers licenses was to make all the states the same. Apparently some states saw this as another revenue generator.
26,000lbs service trucks don't require a class B, They are under 26,001. Class A is over 26,000 With trailer. From http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres/EE2D33C7-E6A0-4C58-9BD9-AE05C003B327/0/VehicleGuide.pdf You need a CDL if you operate any of the following vehicles: • All single vehicles with a gross weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more. (Class B) • All trailers with a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more, if the gross weight rating of the combined vehicle(s) is 26,001 pounds or more. (Class A • All vehicles designed to transport 16 or more persons (including the driver).
I believe Class A is the same in all states, but they can put restrictions on them like no air brakes and no Semitrailers. A Semi trailer has the wheels at the rear, a goosneck trailer has the wheels farther forward under the load so it's not a semi, according to most regs so I think you would be OK. Best is to ask the state police in your area, you usually have to find an officer who runs a scale or inspects rigs to get a clear and correct answer. If you retake your test with a semi you can get rid of the restriction.
A semi trailer has wheels only at the rear,and the tow vehicle carries the weight of the front end. This is opposed to a full trailer, that has wheels at each end, and attaches to the tow vehicle by a tongue. The power unit is a truck if it carries the load by itself, as a straight truck, or pulls a full trailer, as a truck and trailer. The power unit is a tractor, or semi tractor if it carries/pulls a semi trailer. These descriptions date from barely past the horse and wagon days if I recall correctly.
This is a copy of part of the TN CDL manual: 57-Except Tractor-Trailer Added to the Class A only, for drivers who operate a vehicle meeting Class A weight definitions, but the power unit alone is also capable of carrying loads. Examples: Dump truck towing a backhoe. Truck towing a mobile home. You have to be careful these days when going for a Class A, I'm finding more and more states that have the fifth wheel restriction. Basically it separates pintle hitch trucks from 5th wheel trucks. If you take the exam with a PH then you can only pull a PH trailer, if you take the exam with a 5th wheel then you can pull either a 5th wheel or a PH trailer. I found this in the Vermont CDL manual: Non-tractor semi-trailer units When a CDL skills test is taken in a vehicle that is not a tractor semi-trailer unit, the CDL will be issued with the “O” restriction which states, “except tractor-trailer.” Therefore, although the GVWR of a vehicle may classify it as Class A, the restriction may be applied if the connection between the towing vehicle and the trailer is other than standard tractor-trailer equipment (fifth wheel and standard air/electric connections). The types of vehicles that would result in the restriction being applied are generally those which use pintle-hook connections, such as straight trucks which tow equipment and cargo trailers. An applicant that has been restricted as above and wishes to have the restriction removed must take the complete skills test in a tractor-trailer vehicle equipped with a fifth-wheel.
Here in Wisconsin a Class A is for "combination" meaning tractor trailer. Also must have air brake endorsement. A class B is for straight truck only however, you are allowed to pull a trailer up to 10,000 GVW with a class B. Pulling doubles or triples takes an additional endorsement.
Hey DirtHauler, Thanks for squaring me away on that. It was long enough ago that I got me Class A that I didn't recall it properly. I got to grandfather my license in with the endorsements from the old commercial license. John C.
A wild story that sorta relates to the subject: I got my class 3 (old SC A) in 1986, but when it came time to be grandfathered into a class A I had wrecked a p'up and couldn't pass the physical, so when I recovered I took the whole test again w/ a dump truck and tag trailer. There was no such thing as a fifth wheel restriction in SC at the time. Ten years later, when I renewed my license for the second time, they handed me my new license with a fifth wheel restriction on it. I had to retake the test in a tractor-trailer. The people at the DMV said they had recorded the type of vehicle used originally for less than ten percent of applicants, so I was just unlucky.
With luck like that, don't even bother going to the casino or buying lottery tickets.
Some wrong info and proper terms wrongly used going on here.A tractor is either a tractor or it's not,meaning---there is no such thing as a semi tractor,there is only semi-trailers,which are ANY trailer,whether a ball/pintle hitch or a 5th wheel trailer without wheels on the very front such as a farmer's hay wagon which is a true trailer.As far as air brakes are concerned,there are no endorsements,only restrictions.If you have a Class A with an air brake restriction,you simply can not legally run air brakes.